Sumatra Roosters?

TarynH

Chirping
Dec 24, 2020
I was given these two a couple months ago and was told they were Sumatra pullets. The blue one isn’t aggressive but scares very easy. The black one is bossy and is intimidating to the rest of the flock. I currently have these two with my laying hen and my main rooster (the other two in the 2nd photo). So far no issues but I don’t want to wait until I have problems. So, roosters? Based on the tail feathers I’d think so, but again no crowing. I’m not experienced with this breed so any tips are appreciated

Attachments

• 60EB06E4-41EF-44D2-8AF9-01FA3F20492F.jpeg
    60EB06E4-41EF-44D2-8AF9-01FA3F20492F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • 408D4A10-992B-4486-8D61-B7944A2BB14C.jpeg
    408D4A10-992B-4486-8D61-B7944A2BB14C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
Sumatra was the correct information. Mine prefer to roost high and in the trees. They are flighty and can also fly. They can easily take a direct flight from point A to B with my fencing. They are good at being self sufficient here, but oh boy you do not turn your back on them in early spring when it is then mating season. They are incredible against hawks and avoiding predation. Last spring or the one prior I got spurred between the eyes from one for feeding the hens my precompost. I am still keeping them I will do a springtime cull as I have about 12 roosters in my flock right now, however, it is migratory hawk season. If you do not want to keep them all go to a craigslist posting. Free chicken gets them off your property fast and do not mind them going to someone's soup pot rehoming in any other manner never seems to work.

I was given these two a couple months ago and was told they were Sumatra pullets. The blue one isn’t aggressive but scares very easy. The black one is bossy and is intimidating to the rest of the flock. I currently have these two with my laying hen and my main rooster (the other two in the 2nd photo). So far no issues but I don’t want to wait until I have problems. So, roosters? Based on the tail feathers I’d think so, but again no crowing. I’m not experienced with this breed so any tips are appreciated
So I know it's bad news they're roosters but I just have to say, that first male is absolutely stunning. The color and style of his feathers is insane. I'd love to have a rooster like that (once I move to an area I can have one 😭).

So I know it's bad news they're roosters but I just have to say, that first male is absolutely stunning. The color and style of his feathers is insane. I'd love to have a rooster like that (once I move to an area I can have one 😭).
Yes the black Sumatra has the good looks, 3 spur buds are coming in from what could tell. But they will all settle in well with time unless you have torn up hen backs. The breed will stand its ground if a hawk ever lands and never retreat just the hens retreat. The black does look as he is deficient in nutrition as evidenced by those purple streaks. I always prefer 24% or higher protein for my flock and non layer feed as growing a lustrous tail takes a bit of energy.

Sumatra was the correct information. Mine prefer to roost high and in the trees. They are flighty and can also fly. They can easily take a direct flight from point A to B with my fencing. They are good at being self sufficient here, but oh boy you do not turn your back on them in early spring when it is then mating season. They are incredible against hawks and avoiding predation. Last spring or the one prior I got spurred between the eyes from one for feeding the hens my precompost. I am still keeping them I will do a springtime cull as I have about 12 roosters in my flock right now, however, it is migratory hawk season. If you do not want to keep them all go to a craigslist posting. Free chicken gets them off your property fast and do not mind them going to someone's soup pot rehoming in any other manner never seems to work.
We could put them in our own soup pot, but I hate to see them go. But for the reasons you just stated I don’t know how to keep them safe from each other in the spring. We do have hawk and just saw a huge one yesterday. But I have started the “free to a good home” posts. Thank you for the info.

Yes the black Sumatra has the good looks, 3 spur buds are coming in from what could tell. But they will all settle in well with time unless you have torn up hen backs. The breed will stand its ground if a hawk ever lands and never retreat just the hens retreat. The black does look as he is deficient in nutrition as evidenced by those purple streaks. I always prefer 24% or higher protein for my flock and non layer feed as growing a lustrous tail takes a bit of energy.
Good to know. They get lots of good food and are allowed to free range. I have also ordered more meal worms but I’ll note that for the new owners

Back
Top Bottom