Sumatra Thread!

Some females from breeding pens this summer. I'm excited to see how the chicks turn out for next year. If only I had time to take them to shows
hmm.png

I was able to get several blacks and I ended up with a lot of extra blues and splashes.

At least one of the hens is about 8 years old. From my first trio of sumatras.

Had this male for most of the summer but a coon got him toward the end. I have five males from him though. I'm excited to see what they look like next year.
love those hens!!!

the reason for me breeding for big heads is not only what I have learned but what I have experience with breeding them. the big heads make the beak look short and have a much more rounded shape to the head. now a smaller head makes the beak look longer.
here are some photos of prof of that.

here is a hen with a small head now see how long the beak looks. and it dose not even look that round.

now look at this hen. She has a very big head and look at how much shorter the beak is as well as how round the head shape is compared to the black hen.

Last edited:
Ok look at her very closely there is several things wrong with her. I will have to send more photos of her and you will see she is not a show quality sumatra. she has a great dark face and great dark colored legs but her overall qualities are not very good. she looks green in this photo but that was because she was very young when I took this photo. but when she got older the feathers started to turn purple. I do not feed my sumatras very much corn. ok those of you who do not know. If you do feed them to much corn and milo there feather will turn purple instead of having the standard green sheen a sumatra should have. and the worst part about having a sumatra with a purple sheen is you get some points taken off your score. I learned that the hard way. buy feeding mine lots of corn.

ok here is two photos of her. I know you guys may think she is good but her show records are terrible she has the worst show record out of all my sumatras. I showed her 4 times and each time it was either 8th place. 7th place or 6th place or 5th place which is not a good in my records.

I got some photos of my best sumatra roosters

he won class champion in the open show

and here are some photos of this years batch I know they have light faces but I am working on it.

oh I found some pics of the show that I was just at.

this was in the junior show. the guy in the white is the judge.

he was judging the top winners. the blue hen is mine. judge he told us what he liked about the our birds and what he did not like about our birds. he did say he would like the color of the legs a little bit lighter. and he also said that her eyes could be darker. and he also said she has to narrow of a head and that is why she did not win overall champion of the junior show. but she did win champion large fowl. and I am glad those kids won. they had the better birds.

this photo is not all of the show but there was a lot of birds. this is my sumatra

ok here is two photos of her. I know you guys may think she is good but her show records are terrible she has the worst show record out of all my sumatras. I showed her 4 times and each time it was either 8th place. 7th place or 6th place or 5th place which is not a good in my records.

I got some photos of my best sumatra roosters

he won class champion in the open show

and here are some photos of this years batch I know they have light faces but I am working on it.

your males faces are very red for a Sumatra they need more sun to darken those faces!

Back
Top Bottom