Sumatra Thread!

[/IMG]

4-h girl your hen has a nice head, a nice long back, good dark face, good angle, nice colored legs. the only thing I would like to see more of is the tail it needs to be more fanned out and full. here is a example of a full tail so you know what I am talking about.
the best breeding strategies for that hen is to breed her with a rooster with a nice full tail. and if she has any problems that I can not see in the photo try not to breed a rooster with the same problems as her. that never turns out well! I hope this helps you with your breeding/showing
big_smile.png

This morning my Araucana got out and decided he was going to try fight my other cockerel through the metal wire if a cage. I heard some flapping and the hens were making noise, so i looked out and saw the two cockerels there with their hackles up fighting. so i went over to pick up Kenny the Araucana, and n closer inspection he had ripped the hard bony layer of his spur off. so he was gushing blood, but he is okay now, we put his legs in warm salt water and put some purple spray on the spur. he was bleeding so bad it was horrible.

But on the brighter side i think my bantam Sumatra is thinking about going broody.

4-h girl your hen has a nice head, a nice long back, good dark face, good angle, nice colored legs. the only thing I would like to see more of is the tail it needs to be more fanned out and full. here is a example of a full tail so you know what I am talking about.
the best breeding strategies for that hen is to breed her with a rooster with a nice full tail. and if she has any problems that I can not see in the photo try not to breed a rooster with the same problems as her. that never turns out well! I hope this helps you with your breeding/showing
big_smile.png
They totally need to rewrite the standard.. I have hens that have well spread tails also a few that have a very long tail, but not spread unless they are excited..... If your breeding for the standard.. which.. is suppose to be the perfect bird, this is what it says for hens : Tail: Long, large carried at an angle of fifteen degrees above horizontal, Coverts: abundant, long, broad and flowing, extending well onto the main tail. Now if your breeding LEGHORN hens.. the standard says Tail: Large, WELL SPREAD, carried at an angle of forty degrees above horizontal.. Don't take this wrong, its just to educate.. If breeders are going to make up their own thing then why have a standard? especially when it is suppose to represent the perfect bird? Isn't that our goal to breed towards? the hen in the standard does not show a leghorn tail.. I know I will flack, but it makes no sense to me to have a standard and not breed to it. Just my opionion

The best picture we got. Darn Japanese in the way! They are best buds.
That is a very nice hen! beautiful head, long back, if her bottoms of her feet are yellow, she looks to me to fit the standard, pretty darn close! She is how I like them, long lean and long tail, not short backed and fat,

Back
Top Bottom