Sumatra Thread!

Me's a she :) might explain, why I have a tendency to be a bit more passionate or "emotional" LOL.
Everyone just know, I am not mad when I go to my ramblings, and I really don't care how you breed your birds, everyone has what they like, unless your breeding for show, then there is a standard to go by so you have an idea of what to do, there has to be consistency and that is what the standard sets and it doesn't say to DQ a bird if the head isn't the right shape, or if the tail is to short, those are just points, but weight is a DQ so I take that more seriously. It would be like breeding them with a white feathers in the wing and saying, well everything else is correct.. um no, it's a DQ, or lets breed them with a rose comb, but they are perfect otherwise, nope, DQ. So Champion, no hard feelings here, just you want to breed birds for show, I do too, so we should not be breeding birds for the show cage with disqualifications. We are working on Duns, are they perfect, no, there is still work to be done, but they are not recognized yet, it takes time, its a project. We all breed what we like and backyard chickens can be anything they want, but birds being bred for show should be bred to meet the standard and weight is a breed characteristic.

Oh, sorry. Now that I look more closely I can see that you're female. Wasn't apparent at first. Let me rephrase-SHE'S right you know.

they will, but I can honestly say I have never had any of mine go broody in all the years I have had them. Then I have never left eggs for them either... but if you plan to use them as such ( brooders)... they aren't going to work for that. Silkies and cochins are far better brooders and setting hens.

Now if you just want your Sumatra to hatch and raise her own, yes they will do that, and are quite good at it. But in the birds I have kept, they never just go broody on their own like many other breeds.
thanks

That is why I like the more game bred lines... a game bred line will have more success at broody hens than a line that is strictly managed and hens never are allowed to brood. Much like hatcheries do... they breed out broodiness.
Not bashing anyone just my opinion. I have had crappy hatch rates incubating myself... but let a game hen go broody... they hatch 80-100% every time! And once I get a good piece of land I will start breeding for my own line of game sumatras... well wild at least...lol
Do you have any games?do they go broody a lot?any info will be appreciated..and pictures if you have them

Do you guys recommend a Cochin as incubator?
I'm considering getting some Pekings, but I think with some nice Cochin's I could use them for brooders and make some money.I heard that Cochin's are prone to breaking the eggs when they're sitting, is this a common occurrence?

reputation is important thing to have. Down in Airazona, New Mexico, and some parts of Colorabo, people are starting to recognize me as a breeder of good quality sumatras. that is why I say I have a reputation to hold. I was also was in the silver city news paper in the Desert Exposure, and the American Sumatra association news letter for my show quality sumatras. I did not ask for them to put me in the Desert Exposure but they some how found out about me and interviewed me at a show.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I was videotaped for three days straight at our big show here in CA, plus probably like 8 or 9 interviews that were usually three hours or so long... I have won Old English classes of 450 birds as a sixteen year old. My Cubalayas were praised at a national by the breeder/judge that I bought a cock from four years ago. I don't consider a reputation when showing, because honestly it doesn't make a difference to me. The little kids in the state hate me, but they are not into it as much as I and breed maybe 20 chicks a year.

All I can say is keep breeding to the exact standard, not a revised version. Buy a scale. Keep track of how the weights are changing as they mature, and get a bird that feels solid in the hand, but doesn't weigh more than half a pound over standard. As a "reputable breeder" you should go to what the standard says, not to what someone else tells you, regardless of title. It was written by Sumatra breeders, just like you wish to be, so continue the heritage of the breed, don't change it.

Do you guys recommend a Cochin as incubator?
I'm considering getting some Pekings, but I think with some nice Cochin's I could use them for brooders and make some money.I heard that Cochin's are prone to breaking the eggs when they're sitting, is this a common occurrence?
that's what I was referring to as a broody bird. Yes Sumatra will brood IF YOU LET them. I don't.
(I have to pay for a $10,000 feed bill every year. So I try to avoid any brooding in anything)
BUT they aren't known for being a broody bird. To me that in definition is a bird that wants to constantly be broody eggs or not. Just cause they will hatch a clutch or two a year just means they did their job, doesn't constitute calling them a "broody" breed, least not to me.

The 2 best for this are cochins and silkies hands down. They can crack eggs though due to the long times they are known for setting. It's easy to avoid though. Use thick bedding in the nest area, and if you can find something to use like thick foam or anything like that for the bottom, instead of a wooden bottom to a nest box, it really cuts down on egg breakage. They also tend to be natural cullers of bad eggs too.
The ones I use for broody hens will toss a bad egg in a second .

Quote: I have to ask why do the little kids hate you? to me if someone were really into breeding and showing they would want to get a more expensive bird. the ones that are not serious are not going to want to bye an expensive bird especially if you give them the option of a less expensive bird. which is less quality. (those of you who don't know.)

I have to ask why do the little kids hate you? to me if someone were really into breeding and showing they would want to get a more expensive bird. the ones that are not serious are not going to want to bye an expensive bird especially if you give them the option of a less expensive bird. which is less quality. (those of you who don't know.)    

A) I won't speak for others but you may have answered your own question.

B) Price does not equal quality always. I see garbage birds of all breeds sold for very high prices. Some of the best breeding birds I have ever owned (I never show a purchased bird) have been given to me or provided cheaply by excellent breeders. Price means nothing more than what you paid.

Here is my Sumatra hen and her chicks. All the Sumatras I have ever owned have been excellent setters and mothers.

Here is the father to the chicks. Both parents are just over a year old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom