Sumatra Thread!

Here is my Sumatra hen and her chicks. All the Sumatras I have ever owned have been excellent setters and mothers.

Here is the father to the chicks. Both parents are just over a year old.
Thats good to here,because I love broodys and I love the gameness of this breed and I really want to get some...I can't wait to get them

I have to ask why do the little kids hate you? to me if someone were really into breeding and showing they would want to get a more expensive bird. the ones that are not serious are not going to want to bye an expensive bird especially if you give them the option of a less expensive bird. which is less quality. (those of you who don't know.)    

This would be due to the fact that my efforts in breeding have showed well enough over the birds they bought and ruined (usually condition, or health). Breeders here often give birds away. Two years ago we had a sunny day after two weeks of rain, which happened to be the day that the show barn had the heater on to help dry birds the weekend before a show. Luckily I came home from school that one day for lunch and just popped into the barn before going back to school. 95° and the air was unplugged for the winter. Long story a bit shorter, I lost my whole show string of Old English. A local judge just happens to have the same variety as I and offered for me to show his birds. I refused, but the justure was incredible. He then offered for me to take the entire flock. Still no, but it was kind for him to just offer to give them away. Then like has been said, junk gets sold for big money because its from such and such breeder or whatever... Not worth paying for something if its not worth the price.

Your sumatras are beautiful troyer......congrats.
Thank you Cuba for showing only your birds that you have bred and raised......
too many show birds that someone else hatched and then claim
as theirs simply because they own the bird now.

Last edited:
it really depends on who is selling them. one of my good friends at the show got a old English cereld hen that was well wroth the price. she paid $200 dollars for it and from what I know about old English games that was a really nice hen. she won best of show three times with her. I got a black Sumatra hen for $50 she is well worth the price. you have seen her too I showed everyone a photo of her. I can not upload a photo right now but ones I get home from vacation I would me more than happy to show you guys her.

Quote:
Ok if you are directing that one to me. just to let you know the ones that are not bred by me I will let you know.. you can look if you don't believe me. and the rooster in my Avatar is a home bred Sumatra.

Quote: your lucky. maybe some day I will get a free bird that is well worth the quality.

Last edited:
it really depends on who is selling them. one of my good friends at the show got a old English cereld hen that was well wroth the price. she paid $200 dollars for it and from what I know about old English games that was a really nice hen. she won best of show three times with her. I got a black Sumatra hen for $50 she is well worth the price. you have seen her too I showed everyone a photo of her. I can not upload a photo right now but ones I get home from vacation I would me more than happy to show you guys her.

Ok if you are directing that one to me. just to let you know the ones that are not bred by me I will let you know.. you can look if you don't believe me. and the rooster in my Avatar is a home bred Sumatra.

your lucky. maybe some day I will get a free bird that is well worth the quality.
Why would you think that was aimed at you. I stated NO names and didn't even hint at anyone
that is on this thread. You have stated on this thread that you showed others birds but I assumed
you gave the breeder of the bird the ribbons and credit for their birds. Why do you assume everyone
is always talking about you???? You are not the center of my attention. Sorry, but I am not trying
to upset or start with anyone here and I don't understand why you are accusing me.

your lucky. maybe some day I will get a free bird that is well worth the quality.

What's a "cerald hen"?

sorry you have to excuse my Dyslexia, and learning disabilaties , spelling and reading is a really hard thing for me to do.

Quote: crele was what I was trying to say. hopefully that was spelled correctly.

Last edited:
yeah, not good to put them in a regular fridge which is about 40 degrees, eggs should be kept at about 55 degrees, we just got a cooler and then put a frozen two liter bottle in it and keep the eggs in that( not right up against the ice though), its important that you turn them at least once a day even before setting.  Seems to keep them at a good temp and the moisture it gives off is good too

Well darn I wish I had been checking this thread. I bet all the eggs are duds now! I was told a fellow 4H mom to refrigerate them up to 30 days. But no mention of turning them..back to the drawing board...

Back
Top Bottom