Sumatra Thread!

I can see the Sumatra and the cubalaya in him.........a very interesting cross.
How far along are you with this project?

I had no intention of having any brown red sumatras. They just popped up from my personal color breeding genetics understandings project. If no one can use them they will be souped. Last year I had an exceptional looking silver necked cockerel that I souped, not even considering that someone might want him for a project. He is 4 months old.

I like the look of your roo.......he has a very nice body line. I like the pheasant look
of him.......much like the jungle fowl of Sumatra. He looks to have a good
tail carriage and rounded breast from the profile pic. How are they on their
weight? 10 years is quite some time breeding!!!! Where did you get your
original birds or do you remember. May have been when Richard was showing.

Well I just put him on the bathroom scale and he looks to be 4.5lbs. This guy is one year old, from the tail end of last year's hatch and not selectively bred, but he's the best I've got to start my selective breeding. I bought my original stock from Happy Hens Hatchery but I have no idea where they got their birds from. Happy Hens lost everything in 2003 when B.C. had an avian flu outbreak. None of their birds caught the flu but they were not allowed to ship and were not compensated so they lost the farm.

Well I just put him on the bathroom scale and he looks to be 4.5lbs. This guy is one year old, from the tail end of last year's hatch and not selectively bred, but he's the best I've got to start my selective breeding. I bought my original stock from Happy Hens Hatchery but I have no idea where they got their birds from. Happy Hens lost everything in 2003 when B.C. had an avian flu outbreak. None of their birds caught the flu but they were not allowed to ship and were not compensated so they lost the farm.
I do like that roo.....he is quite nice and more of what
I imagine a Sumatra should be like.......he is beautiful.
It will be interesting to see his chicks.

I think I've nailed the brown red Sumatra cockerel. Remember the cockerel I posted before. I f i can Purchase a brown red hen i could probably breed brown reds.

I'll have chicks hatching in 13 days and I'm collecting eggs for another hatch.But yesterday i i checked the nest to see if there were anymore eggs, and there was a egg with out a shell on it. and i found another egg like it this morning. Could this be a one of my hens stopping laying?

I gave them some oyster shell when i found the egg, so tomorrow when they lay again we can see if that's what they were laking in.

It might take some time for it to start working. I also take the shells (from the eggs we eat) and let them dry in a pail, than I crush them and feed them back to the chickens to help with calcium.

I think I've nailed the brown red Sumatra cockerel. Remember the cockerel I posted before. I f i can Purchase a brown red hen i could probably breed brown reds.

I'll have chicks hatching in 13 days and I'm collecting eggs for another hatch.But yesterday i i checked the nest to see if there were anymore eggs, and there was a egg with out a shell on it. and i found another egg like it this morning. Could this be a one of my hens stopping laying?

Oyster shell is good, and also something cheaper...their own egg shells. I save them all when I cook and let them dry and crumble them up into their food

Sorry I posted this before I saw the most recent posts! Didn't mean to repeat stuff

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom