Sumatra Thread!

I'll wait till he is done molting and take more pictures, so it'll be a while, as I can't really remember how his tail normally is carried. He also has more white to him. But once he regrows his feathers, I'll get more pictures and than maybe someone can tell me what color he would be considered.

Thanks for the help

That'll be great!

I have 10 eggs under two hens witch are due to hatch on the 12th, and I'm saving up more eggs, witch i will set on the 5th. Me and my brother are going to England for my Dad's wedding, so I wont get to see one of the hatches. but there will be another hatch shortly after we get back.

I have 10 eggs under two hens witch are due to hatch on the 12th, and I'm saving up more eggs, witch i will set on the 5th. Me and my brother are going to England for my Dad's wedding, so I wont get to see one of the hatches. but there will be another hatch shortly after we get back.
Good with your hatches and hope you enjoy your trip.
Can't wait to see pics of the chicks.

Hello everyone, my name Stephen and I'm new to BYC but not new to chickens. I bought my first Sumatras over 10 years ago but I've let them do their own thing until recently when I decided I should spend the time to shape them up a bit. Here are 2 photos (taken with my phone) of the best of last years roosters that I am planning to pair with the best of some Murray Mcmurray hens I bought this year.
I chose this first photo to show his yellow feet and "pheasant like" look, and the second below shows off his profile, only the last tail feather touches the ground when he's standing alert.

My rooster has 5 spurs on each leg where the hatchery birds have only 1, but the Murray Mcmurray birds have nicer heads and darker faces so we'll see how things go. I plan on breeding toward APA's standards but my personal feeling is Sumatras should be very pheasant like with long narrow bodies, long legs and long horizontal tails; basically pheasant chickens.

So that's a bit about me and (my Sumatras mostly) I hope to chime in every so often, and if anyone has any questions or constructive criticisms regarding either my birds or the Mcmurray's birds I've bought feel free!

if you are going to breed to the APA standard you don't want a narrow body. Here this is what it says in the standard I have it in my hand.
Breast: broad round and full
Body and Stern: moderately long, firm, muscular. and the Stern is compact.
Legs: medium length.
Sorry trying to help. Oh and the tail should be horizantal and full you do not want to have a pinched tail.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, my name Stephen and I'm new to BYC but not new to chickens. I bought my first Sumatras over 10 years ago but I've let them do their own thing until recently when I decided I should spend the time to shape them up a bit. Here are 2 photos (taken with my phone) of the best of last years roosters that I am planning to pair with the best of some Murray Mcmurray hens I bought this year.
I chose this first photo to show his yellow feet and "pheasant like" look, and the second below shows off his profile, only the last tail feather touches the ground when he's standing alert.

My rooster has 5 spurs on each leg where the hatchery birds have only 1, but the Murray Mcmurray birds have nicer heads and darker faces so we'll see how things go. I plan on breeding toward APA's standards but my personal feeling is Sumatras should be very pheasant like with long narrow bodies, long legs and long horizontal tails; basically pheasant chickens.

So that's a bit about me and (my Sumatras mostly) I hope to chime in every so often, and if anyone has any questions or constructive criticisms regarding either my birds or the Mcmurray's birds I've bought feel free!
I like the look of your roo.......he has a very nice body line. I like the pheasant look
of him.......much like the jungle fowl of Sumatra. He looks to have a good
tail carriage and rounded breast from the profile pic. How are they on their
weight? 10 years is quite some time breeding!!!! Where did you get your
original birds or do you remember. May have been when Richard was showing.

I would like some opinions on how to sex 2 month old Sumatras. I've had Sumatras for about ten years and I'd like to hear everyone else's ideas. I have bantam and standards.

wow, he sure is gorgeous! How old is he?

Back
Top Bottom