Sumatra Thread!

Should be able to get some from Strombergs, at least their
website shows them available. That stock I have not seen.

Stonykill, I have a couple of blacks from you that grew out into
nice leggy birds. I love a little longer leg & they have nice dark skin-
and since I don't show I will be breeding for me & what I like to see.
Also have some crosses out of my genetic hackle pen, sine I didn't
have a Sumatra roo for 1 blue & 1 black hens.
Need to get some pics. Thanks......

He's a poorly colored black Sumatra. Could you post a full side view picture of him? Get down to his level and take a picture.

Is this good enough or do you need more/ different? You can see here that most his tail is gone due to molting.

Is this good enough or do you need more/ different? You can see here that most his tail is gone due to molting.
He is pretty but to me almost looks like he has some cornish in him just based on overall type and the pearl eye. Not trying to be mean but he doesn't quite look like a sumatra. Which hatchery did you get him from? I know Privett and Murray McMurray have some pretty decent sumatras, haven't seen any from other hatcheries yet

How long does it take for sumatras to set?
Do you mean for an egg to hatch? 19 to 21 days, ours always seem to pip about the 19th day and we have even hatch as early as the 18th day, and I know that would be a true statement because we have had them in a cooler and then put them in the incubator and on the 18th day when we went to move the eggs up to the brooder, one was hatched already. As far as a hen setting? just depends on when the hen feels like setting, ours seem to be later in the year rather than early spring and we have some setting on eggs now.

That is good enough, thanks. I do agree with flyingmonkeypoop, it looks like there is something else mixed into the sumatra, maybe even several generations ago. When his tail is feathered out, is it usually carried lower?

He is pretty but to me almost looks like he has some cornish in him just based on overall type and the pearl eye. Not trying to be mean but he doesn't quite look like a sumatra. Which hatchery did you get him from? I know Privett and Murray McMurray have some pretty decent sumatras, haven't seen any from other hatcheries yet
I agree that he has a better pearl eye than any cornish I have ever seen, but there is a tinge of orange to it. I don't remember the hatchery as he's 4 years or so old now.

That is good enough, thanks. I do agree with flyingmonkeypoop, it looks like there is something else mixed into the sumatra, maybe even several generations ago. When his tail is feathered out, is it usually carried lower?
I'll wait till he is done molting and take more pictures, so it'll be a while, as I can't really remember how his tail normally is carried. He also has more white to him. But once he regrows his feathers, I'll get more pictures and than maybe someone can tell me what color he would be considered.

Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom