Sumatra Thread!

Pics
Jeremy,

All in all looking decent on both of them. They look to have good leg lenght which is a plus any more. I would like to see a thicker tail and saddles on him, little thicker tail on the pullet too, but they are still growing so that may well change for us. Good shape to the head and face on both. Wish the cockerels face was a bit darker, but that can be worked in, and may well darken up with age too. That kinda just comes with non black colors in them, all the males seem to be redish in the face. The pullet is nice and dark, so if you continue to work him into her, it may help too. Age helps a lot for me. My blues look like him some times til they are two, then they just darken right up.

So all in all, not bad, few little things that could be better, but then again, age may well be all he's needing. Regardless, with that color, I'd breed the heck out of him
thumbsup.gif

As I was out staring at birds today and trying to figure out breeding pens for spring I thought I'd post here about the way I select. As some of you know it is important to pair up birds that compliment each other. I have a rooster with a tail that is too low and carries his wings like an OEGB and a hen with a tail that is too high with higher wings. Combined they should make good chicks. Some things I am working on breeding away from is the chunky body. One of the roosters has a nice body that I like but I have lots of hens with thick bodies that I dont care for so in that case I will be breeding for everything else and work on more sleek bodies.

Gallo, that cock looks good for the most part but his wings are carried too low. Was he just excited for this pic or does he always carry them like that?

thank you Gresh .
flyingmonkeypoop:
yes he carry his wings low .
he always challenges me when I come around him.
he is a man fighter .
his offsprings show better pose

Quote:
Thanks BBB!
smile.png

He's getting big now, I feel like in the past 2 weeks he must have gone through a growth spurt and has grown a lot, he's much larger than my pullet now. I was looking at him on the roost tonight and his tail seems to be filling in more too, I can see some pin feathers starting to emerge. He hatched on June 15th so he's just over 6 months old.

I'm not really expecting his face to get too dark, most Blues I've seen don't really have dark faces. That said I figure because he's the product of a double dilution he won't really darken up much at all. My plan is to put him over super dark faced females though to hopefully improve his offspring.

What I do like about him is that his feet are like neon yellow, whereas my pullets are more of a pale yellow. Tthat and I'm in love with his color, I can't wait to start hatching babies, I REALLY want some Dun chicks. I finished my breeder coop today that I'm going to put him in with his pullet and hopefully another pullet or two. I'm waiting to hear back from a breeder here in California that shows Sumatra and has done pretty well. Honestly my goal right now is color, I want to hatch as many Platinum and Dun chicks as possible- from there I will work on everything else. I know this goes against the "build the barn before you paint it" saying... but whatever, I feel like this is some pretty special paint I've got and I want to utilize it while I can!
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Do you plan on putting any larger Black hens with your Dun pair?

That's something I'd definitely be interested in...
big_smile.png

Quote:
Ah, a manfighter, eh? Gee, that stinks. I had (note past tense
tongue.png
) a banty cockerel who was a manfighter. Didn't do much damage to me--as long as I had pants on. If I had shorts, he'd bang up my shins and heels pretty good. He was a feisty Spanish breed. Sold him to a farmer for $5. Would've charged more but we were sick of the little Spaniard devil.
gig.gif

Jeremy, we are still trying to figure out what to do with the duns. The cockerel is still growing and I say he is pure largefowl but momma thinks he might be half bantam, spring will tell for sure. It looks like we will have some pen hopping going on for sure. There are plans for different matings with the various hens/roosters to work on various things, getting ready for the years to come by breeding these. The new bantam rooster we got from Myron Berger is supposed to be blue even though he looks solid black. He sired splash chicks last year and was the only rooster in the pen with black/blue hens so we are trying to pen him with blacks since I dont care for the splash birds. We may be getting a couple more bantams so there might be more shuffling. We will know for sure come February

Back
Top Bottom