Sumatra Thread!

Genetics would only allow the 4 chicks to come out with pink/white if a parent was white legged. Yellow legs are recessive and can't hide white legs. The chance that 10% of the chicks come out with a mutation is unlikely as well. One of the hens was likely a white soled bird carrying the gene for yellow legs so that only half of the offspring of that bird would have white soles.

Our green legged splash Sumatras came out of our blues that had black legs. When bred back to black all the chicks had black legs. The whites bred here in CA also have yellow legs, as well as a white Jersey Giant that I used to have. I have only ever had one black hen with green on the feet. But she didn't show it till she was four years old, and it was only around the toes and ankles. Her feet gained more and more yellow on the soled as she aged. She started with just pencil line yellow soles, then each year more yellow till the point that the entire soles were yellow without a freckle, and the sides of her toes were yellow too. She was my best hen.

Green legs are because the base color is yellow, the black pigment usually covers this, which is why the soles are yellow, they only show green in the splash because the black pigment is diluted in the splash, causing it to look green. If the base is pink, they usually would have slate legs like in the phoenix. Genetically speaking the pink is more dominant than yellow, but if your pink legged bird is carrying a recessive yellow, then when crossed with yellow, would probably make the yellow more dominant, which is probably the case with your sumatras, since they are out of birds that should be yellow legged.. In my breeding program, I just chose to cull birds that don't have yellow bottoms, which I think I have had one in the last 5 years, but If they don't have a dark face, multiple spurs and yellow bottoms, they are not used for breeding. Unless starting a new color variety, but after first cross they must meet the same criteria as the blacks

I am not the only one who has tryed this like I said in the other post there are three sumatra breeders that I know of breed their sumatras with the pink botton soles and they hatch 40 chicks and only 4 end up with the pink bottom feet. I am breeding this hen only because she has three spurs per leg she has a very dark face and great color for a blue sumatra. this is photo is her. and I will get a leg shot of her so you can see what I mean.

Green legs are because the base color is yellow, the black pigment usually covers this, which is why the soles are yellow, they only show green in the splash because the black pigment is diluted in the splash, causing it to look green.  If the base is pink, they usually would have slate legs like in the phoenix.   Genetically speaking the pink is more dominant than yellow, but if your pink legged bird is carrying a recessive yellow, then when crossed with yellow, would probably make the yellow more dominant, which is probably the case with your sumatras, since they are out of birds that should be yellow legged.. In my breeding program, I just chose to cull birds that don't have yellow bottoms, which I think I have had one in the last 5 years, but If they don't have a dark face, multiple spurs and yellow bottoms, they are not used for breeding.  Unless starting a new color variety, but after first cross they must meet the same criteria as the blacks

The black pigment does not cause the green legs. Yellow legs with the melanin cause black legs with yellow soles. Slate legs and black legs are not the same. Slate legs with yellow instead of white is green. Black legs with yellow is just black legs and yellow pads.

For a
I am not the only one who has tryed this like I said in the other post there are three sumatra breeders that I know of breed their sumatras with the pink botton soles and they hatch 40 chicks and only 4 end up with the pink bottom feet. I am breeding this hen only because she has three spurs per leg she has a very dark face and great color for a blue sumatra. this is photo is her. and I will get a leg shot of her so you can see what I mean. For a blue she needs darker lacing but her type is nice

The black pigment does not cause the green legs. Yellow legs with the melanin cause black legs with yellow soles. Slate legs and black legs are not the same. Slate legs with yellow instead of white is green. Black legs with yellow is just black legs and yellow pads.
Yeah I am not so good with genetics like my son is, I meant more like with the phoenix, they should have slate, but when they have a yellow instead of pink base, they will have willow legs instead and kinda the same with sumatras, when the blues have a pink base, there legs are not green like when they have the yellow base.

I have something to tell you guys about green legs on sumatra's I know some of you don't know this but the green legs are really good, only because as the sumatra get older like about 4-5 years old the legs will start to turn grey and not only that it improves the yellow on the bottom of the feet it as you can see in this photos. it is a dominate gene so if you where to breed a hen with pink bottom feet with a rooster with green legs the chicks will have great yellow soles. both of the photos are
some young cockerels. they are only 6 moths old.
Sorry, this is simply not true. There are only two gens for basic skin color, yellow and white. White is dominant to yellow, ALWAYS. You will only get yellow feet/skin if both parents contribute a yellow skin gene to the offspring. Again, White is ALWAYS dominant to Yellow.

The colored shanks is a different deal that just overlays the skin color and makes the different colors of the shank. Remember the skin color is still simple, White dominant, yellow recessive. Shank color will come from the amount of pigment deposited in either , or both, of the two dermal layers of the skin and this can vary considerably, its not as simple as skin either being yellow or white. There are two skin (dermal) layers that can have pigment. If you have a white skinned bird and melanin pigment of the inner dermal layer the combination of white skin and 'black' melanin pigment you get blue slate legs. Of course this can vary in intensity. If the pigment is on the outer dermal layer it essentially covers up the skin color so you would get a more true 'black' shank color. IF the birds is pigmented in both dermal layers the shank color is even darker but still covering the actual skin color. If you have a yellow skinned bird and have melanin pigment on the inner dermal layer the shank color will be willow, or greenish from the combination of black pigment mixed with yellow skin. If the melanin pigment is on the outer dermal layer it essentially covers the yellow skin and again you get black shanks. For example, Sumatra's have yellow skin and black shanks because the pigment layer is deposited in the outer dermal layer (sometimes in both epidermal layers, but the outer layer is the important layer to cause this dark shank color). Australorps also have 'black shanks but they have white skin, the pigment is, again, in the outer dermal layer therefore covering up the skin color.

Back
Top Bottom