Sumatra Thread!

I have 2 Sumatra Roosters and 1 hen they are all about 20 months old. My son (who is 8) recently told me that he wants to do chicken shows. He heard us talking about the different traits of the birds and wanted to why it matters. I told him because some people take their chickens to shows to win prizes and now that is what he wants to do. So I was wondering if ours are even close to show quality.

This Rooster has a darker face

They all have the yellow bottom feet, and the Rooster both have multi spurs.

Sorry if the pictures are not the best it is very cloudy outside today.
look decent to me. especially for smaller local shows. The black faced male I like by far over the redder faced one. Like to see a bit more fan on the tail of the hens, but she isnt horrible by any means. Now at major shows, where some of the heavy hitters go, they might not fair so well.

I have 2 Sumatra Roosters and 1 hen they are all about 20 months old. My son (who is 8) recently told me that he wants to do chicken shows. He heard us talking about the different traits of the birds and wanted to why it matters. I told him because some people take their chickens to shows to win prizes and now that is what he wants to do. So I was wondering if ours are even close to show quality.

Since it is your son wanting to show I assume you are thinking
of showing them at the junior level which is good. That level will
help him to learn what the judges are looking for and that level
tends to give more ribbons out to help encourage them to show
the birds later.....good luck.....they are pretty.

I agree that darker male is nicer than the red faced male. I do like the amount of body on the red faced male though. The hen has a pretty steep tail angle, her back should be a bit longer and I would like to see overall more body to her. That being said it is worth taking them out and showing. A good way to be taken seriously and get to know the best breeders is to show against them and talk to them and ask them about your birds if they have time.

Since it is your son wanting to show I assume you are thinking
of showing them at the junior level which is good. That level will
help him to learn what the judges are looking for and that level
tends to give more ribbons out to help encourage them to show
the birds later.....good luck.....they are pretty.
Thank you. Yes it would be junior level. He seems very excited mainly because he can win something. Hopefully that excitement does not go away if he does not win.
I got the birds as chicks from a local feed store how likely is it that they are related, and much does that matter if I try to breed them?

Oh the red faced one is very aggressive, does that matter at all in the shows?
He follows me around the yard and I have to constantly turn and face him or he is attacking my legs.
He is very aggressive towards the hens also. I don't know if that is normal.

Something I'm surprised no one has mentioned is the high tails. The tails should be horizontal on roosters. As young birds, you want them to have a slightly higher tail since the weight of the feathers should pull it down as the tail grows. They look decent though overall. Just like with all chickens, if you can find the birds that compliment their faults, you could make some stunning birds

Something I'm surprised no one has mentioned is the high tails. The tails should be horizontal on roosters. As young birds, you want them to have a slightly higher tail since the weight of the feathers should pull it down as the tail grows. They look decent though overall. Just like with all chickens, if you can find the birds that compliment their faults, you could make some stunning birds
I had seen this (the high tails), but since I have never shown birds before, thought I would sit on my hands to see what others thought, so that I might learn if I was right in thinking the tails were to high or if I was wrong. The red faced rooster has a better tail set in my opinion, but it could be because he is on the ladder. But I do prefer the black faced ones head and neck better. I don't like the hens shape at all, she looks very U shaped and her chest looks sunk in or odd to me. But they do have nice dark eyes and the roosters have a nice set of multiple spurs.

Last edited:
I love the dark faces on these birds, i would cull the red faced cock and breed the best black faced to all the hens, i think the tail set is way to high on cock and hens but this could be bred towards correction, look for some nice hens to add to your group with a lower tail set and cull hard for shape, the U shape is not what you want in Sumatras! Keep the dark eyes, dark face, multiple spurs, yellow soles. a rich green sheen to the feathers and let your son show them, it will be great experience for him!!! JMO! Lynn in Okla.

I would love to get some Standard size(LF) Black, Blue, Platinum,Dun, White or other Sumatra eggs from some quality show type birds if anyone has any, I need to get my incubator set up but hope to be going good by spring!!!! Not far away here in Oklahoma,USA!!! Let me know what you have and how much with shipping please! Thanks, Lynn

Back
Top Bottom