Sumatra Thread!

My first sumatra chick out of my pair. It's looking like a cockerel. Starting to get spurs and the hackle feathers seem more male than female.
The bottom of his feet are very yellow. Any opinions are welcome
smile.png
All chicks have the spur nubs, just not all will grow spurs. Some hens will grow spurs though, I have had a few with spurs and have a sumatra pullet with a row of 3 nubs on each leg. Looking at your chicks leg in this picture, I am only seeing the one spur nub. I would watch and if this ends up a rooster with only a single spur, I wouldn't use him.

Good luck with your chicks.

This is my daughter and her Sumatra roo
Welcome to the sumatra thread. Your daughter looks very happy with her rooster.

She is -- Blackberry is her 'baby'. She purchased him and 3 girls from a Breeder in Kane PA with money she earned by participating in the 4-H Market Chicken Project. 1 of the girls decided to fly out of the coop and the puppies found her first. We've been trying to breed the other 2 with very little luck. I'm considering pulling feathers around their vent areas. Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

I do have 6 straight run Black Sumatra's from Sand Hill Preservation coming this summer. I've heard good things about this small operation as to the quality of their birds. We are also looking to maybe purchase additional quality breeding stock in both blue & black colors. We live near Buffalo NY - and so far I've only found the 1 breeder in driving distance.

Hope you did well and had fun, but got some rest as well.
We had a great show! Always fun and did great as well, Best AOSB as well as Reserve AOSB and Best Guinea and Reserve Guinea and they had a new catagory for Best Bird not recognized with his Cream Legbar, something new they added at this show I thought was pretty cool.

Glad to hear you had fun and did well. Nice about the not recognized part, wonder if it lets mixes to be shown now?

Thanks to my son, I now have a bunch of lakenvelder roosters growing out that aint going to make the show cut since they have one too many comb points. Looks like I won't have to buy chicken for awhile
tongue.png
. But hopefully next year will be different. Just mainly hoping that the kiddos have fun and learn something from their adventure, time will tell.

Ha a great time at my two shoes this weekend.
On Saturday I was at a poultry show and Won Champion and Reserve LF on two White SC Leghorns and I won Champion WF on a Gray Rouen. A Cornish I sold las year to a 4-her since I was getting out of them won Resere Bantam and Reserve In Show with him.
On Sunday I went to an ARBA show which is a American rabbit breeders Association Show. Some of u May or
May not know rabbits but I showed in open with my Polish and I Won BOS with a broken Chocolate Polish Rabbit Doe(there were over 40 polish). I was so excited and it was her first ARBA show an she won a leg, maybe two if there were enough brokens!

Ha a great time at my two shoes this weekend.
On Saturday I was at a poultry show and Won Champion and Reserve LF on two White SC Leghorns and I won Champion WF on a Gray Rouen. A Cornish I sold las year to a 4-her since I was getting out of them won Resere Bantam and Reserve In Show with him.
On Sunday I went to an ARBA show which is a American rabbit breeders Association Show. Some of u May or
May not know rabbits but I showed in open with my Polish and I Won BOS with a broken Chocolate Polish Rabbit Doe(there were over 40 polish). I was so excited and it was her first ARBA show an she won a leg, maybe two if there were enough brokens!

Congrats, sounds like you had fun. Could you please explain the "she won a leg, maybe two"? Imagining a rabbit running around with a little gold leg charm hanging around her neck.
lau.gif

Congrats, sounds like you had fun. Could you please explain the "she won a leg, maybe two"? Imagining a rabbit running around with a little gold leg charm hanging around her neck. :lau  
Thanks a leg is almost like a starred win for poultry through the ABA. Rabbits win a leg based on how many animals are in thief class. Each show has to pay for certain legs they want to hand out. To win a leg u must win 1st,BV or BB out of atleast 5 rabbits from 3 different exhibitors. Some shows will pay for best opposite sex of breed/ best opposite sex if there are enough animals and exhibitors. Since there were 34+ polish and I think there needed to be a minimum of 10 rabbits for a BOS leg I won 1 leg. It is a bit
Confusing. If a rabbit wins 3 legs and try get their rabbit registered through ARBA where a registerer must approve the animal, that animal can become a grand champion. Hope this helps

All chicks have the spur nubs, just not all will grow spurs. Some hens will grow spurs though, I have had a few with spurs and have a sumatra pullet with a row of 3 nubs on each leg. Looking at your chicks leg in this picture, I am only seeing the one spur nub. I would watch and if this ends up a rooster with only a single spur, I wouldn't use him.

Good luck with your chicks.

Thank you ramirezfarming. Still not 100% sure on gender but I will keep your advice in mind :)

How are all of you?

I'm very excited in 1 week, I'm getting my pair of carlisle oeg, 2 Sumatra pullets and possibly a pekin cockerel.
I'm then sending a quad of Sussex over to my dad.

I have allot of birds at the minute, i have 47 including chicks. And I'm getting more hatching eggs for one last hatch this year. When i say more hatching eggs i mean about 40, but I'm relying on the fact that once the eggs have been posted they wont all hatch. I'm getting some Sussex, legbars, Pekins and hopefully some Rir.

How are all of your fowl?

Back
Top Bottom