Sumatra Thread!

It is a DQ. If the bottom of the feet are pink, it just means they have white skin, which is why it would be a DQ. However, it is not to be confused with a bleached out laying hen.
I thought so but was not quite sure. A lot of the hatchery type sumatras
around here have pink or very pale cream feet bottoms and although
it was discussed here some time ago about breeding it out in one generation
I really don't want to bother with it if it a DQ. things like that have a habit
of popping back up in later generations.....two recessives kinda thing.

Thank You very much. Does the sumatra hens feet change color when they are laying? I was at a apa show a I heard a person say her feet color is off cause she is laying now and she didn't do good cause of that. Thank You again

Lauravonsmurf...... that is a very interesting looking bird
and he is gorgeous. Is his comb two-toned or just a play
of the lights that makes it look that way?
I believe it is actually two toned. Some of the crosses will produce in the right ratios multi-spur birds, gypsy faced birds, "dragon boned", extra toes and other interesting things including truly unique comb types. Wild eye candy: left to right: Sri Lanka, Green, Grey & Red.

Oh my so many great subjects I cant help but be hooked on here right now.

Lauravonsmurf, its a more complex subject than what I said. Obviously nutrition fuels the body and develops the feathers in a way that reflects the light. Pigments do come from the diets. Think of the wild birds and all their colors. The webs on each feather are put together in a way that can create different reflections from the light. Of course I am not the person to explain this and there are several articles and even books on it. However, take a pair of birds with purple feathers and breed them together, you normally get more purple offspring. I know because when I was younger I started out with hatchery birds that were purple and so were their young, and every single generation from that. This didn't change until I introduced quality green birds from a breeder. That to me says genetics. I am all ears though.
Well that sounds like genetics to me too, which then begs other questions, such as are we just prejudice against purple or is there a difference in how the feathers feel, strength, shape between purple & green sheen birds? I heard purple & green feathers do feel different, can anyone confirm this? I have also heard of blue sheened black... but not seen it, has anyone seen "blue sheen"?

Last edited:
Love the Sri Lanka (first picture). Love his colors and his comb. Looks like a chainsaw blade. Too bad they are extremely hard to raise and breed, but I would love to see one in the wild in person.

Sounds great Zack I really like your inputI I know you know alot about the sumatra line.  Its the line, strain I have thats different I have to say now from your input. Zack is purple a good thing? So I have sumatras with purple and sumatra that have green.     Yup that lady on ebay stole his picture from were I bought them and he is very angry at her. To many people on ebay use other peoples pictures when they sell eggs.   But that is the parent stock. Thank You for the comp. Going to have to breed the two different line together to see what I get. I have 4 r-con incubators I can load up, LOL  Some of the sumatras I got eggs from Zack and hatched them out to. Thank you again for them eggs Zack.   This sumatra thread has the best input from people I have seen. Good people..
Glad u are happy with them. You do not want purple. The beetle green is what you want to breed for and select for.

This week has been nuts for me. I have my local fair for 5 days. So far I was lucky to win Champion Nubian and Reserve Super Grand Champion of the Dairy Goat show. In the rabbit show I won best opposite French Lop and Polish for my rabbit people who understand. But the poultry show is tom and I am worried. Some of my birds are in condition but you never know. I will let u all know tom night

This week has been nuts for me. I have my local fair for 5 days. So far I was lucky to win Champion Nubian and Reserve Super Grand Champion of the Dairy Goat show. In the rabbit show I won best opposite French Lop and Polish for my rabbit people who understand. But the poultry show is tom and I am worried. Some of my birds are in condition but you never know. I will let u all know tom night
Congrats Zach on your wins, & good luck on the poultry.

Back
Top Bottom