Sumatra Thread!

Blues do tend to be lighter (more red) in the face than the blacks. At a year old, with feathers re grown, I would say so. Some of my birds are just starting while others are almost done.

Thanks for the responses. He does stand upright when alert an his tail at the base is a bit rough. He has been free ranging with other birds before I got him. I have him isolated from my flock for a few weeks to be safe. Do you think the molt is starting now? What about comb color? Are blues lighter red than blacks normally?
They will stand up more and/or hold the tail higher when they are excited or alert.
Quarantine of any new bird is always best and 30-45 days is a good time or at least
what we do. I would bet that once he finishes his molt and matures a bit more, he
will be a nice bird. His face could darker more if he was not in much sunlight before you
got him. They do lighten a bit when out of the sun but blues also tend to be a bit more
red in the face than the blacks. There are some who will be as dark as the blacks too.

It defiantly looks like a straight long horizontal line to me.

They look exactly alike LOL I don't see any difference. Sure sightly lopping pretty much the same thing, Even the well known sumatra breeders agree with me about what I am talking about and I am not just saying this.I know you guys love to get under my skin, so I find it hard to believe that it's incorrect. I am not going to react anymore. Good Luck.
No one is trying to "get under your skin". You originally posted before you did your per normal edit changes that the back should be horizontal to the ground and this is why you posted a picture to support your claim. The added arrow helped to hide any hint of a slope to the back but it is not the picture in the 2010 SOP. We are trying to have a discussion about the back of the birds.

Last edited:
That's because where you drew the line is the TAIL, and that is to be horizontal. If you look at the back only before it hits the tail, that is definitely sloping. Plus the artist just does a rendering. Interpret the drawing how you want, the words are how the bird is judged.

Back
Top Bottom