Sumatra Thread!

Where is he at what state
I'm not sure but I think it is Ga. You are close to Arkansas and could try
to get eggs from the university for hatching........lots of folks swear by
the program there and the eggs. I have not tried their eggs so I don't
know first hand about them. You can also go to some shows and talk to
the exhibitors to see who to get birds from and the fall shows will be happening
soon. The shows may even have folks there selling some. Good luck.

@fowlman01 this is my first with asil blood and didn't know they were aggressive. I don't think I'm going to breed into Sumatra if its going to pass on the behavior. I guess they will just stay for showing

I have a pair of Shamos and people say they can be aggressive but mine are really sweet. The male is a little nuts and loves to run around but I have never had a problem. The female loves to be handled and I got them because Tom K bought them from a big
Breeder I don't remember the name and he just didn't have room for all of them and gave me some. I love their look and my female tends to beat out my Sumatras a lot. I hoping to bring her out to Knoxville for the oreiental fowl national

I have a pair of Shamos and people say they can be aggressive but mine are really sweet. The male is a little nuts and loves to run around but I have never had a problem. The female loves to be handled and I got them because Tom K bought them from a big
Breeder I don't remember the name and he just didn't have room for all of them and gave me some. I love their look and my female tends to beat out my Sumatras a lot. I hoping to bring her out to Knoxville for the oreiental fowl national
Is it the Sumatra Nationals or the Oriental Nationals in Knoxville?
I have not been able to find out which it is but it has a been a week
or two since I checked at the web site for it.

I've had my share of mean birds, hens included. Most of the human aggressive ones become dinner, only a few breeders that I have not been able to find just as good or better quality stay around. I have a few sumatra hens that can get an attitude towards new birds in their pen, but after awhile the attitudes tend to calm back down. I use to have some bad bottom silkie hens, they use to always fight with each other. I stood and watched a 5 minute stare down between two hens one time. I feel the silkie attitudes came from my first silke rooster who would always find a way into the other breeds pens just to fight with the rooster, no matter their size. I have since gotten rid of that line.The only really aggressive birds, as in will kill other birds, that I have are a silkie hen who I lost a few silkie roosters to and a game rooster who would kill any other bird he could. They would be dinner, but the rooster belongs to my other half (gotta let it stay since I have so many lol), the game rooster stays in a game pen and was alone for a long time before my silkie hen entered his life. I figured they would either kill each other and I would have 2 dinners or it'd be love, aint gonna lie, I was pulling for option #1 when I put her in with him. Needless to say they haven't fought once and it's been a little more than a year now. Still wishing they could become dinner, but got to keep the other half happy lol.

Back
Top Bottom