Sumatra Thread!

Many Sumatras have an extended throat that is close to looking like a dewlap, but even if it has a bit of a dewlap, it is a very minor point cut in a show. 1/2-1 point is nothing to worry about.....although we all strive to have the best bird we can.

Walt

Interesting, thanks for popping in and sharing some of your knowledge. Do you by chance have a picture of a sumatra with a good full throat? I know what the standard has for a picture, but I like to see pictures of real birds with a good example of what ever is being talked about. Thanks for your time.

Bantams are suppose to be 1/5 thier LF counterparts. Here are photos of the Res. cont. And champion FL faverolles at the Ohio state fair. THESE PHOTOS AND BIRDS ARE NOT MINE I REPEAT NOT MINE THEY ARE OWNED BRED AND PHOTOS TAKEN BY LEISHA COMER AND THESE ARE AWESOME AWESOME BIRDS.

Well...she does not have it right here. The Sumatra does not call for a dewlap.....a full throat does not mean a dewlap. Anytime a bird is required to have a dewlap it is noted as such....dewlap. The splash she posted appears to have a dewlap. The illustration of the Sumatra on page 220 of the 2010 APA Standard shows the way the throat should look.

Walt

thanks. i am saving money to buy some decent sumatra. i have some but from a hatchery and was told that they are cornish with more thrn one spur after i put a pic up here. i have been reading to learn so i can know to pick out some good birds. i had thought the fb page was right since it got over 150 members and not much as been said about snything being worng. i thought sumatras had a hortzintal tail and someone said this one there but someone esle said its 15. can you tell me what is right?

thanks. i am saving money to buy some decent sumatra. i have some but from a hatchery and was told that they are cornish with more thrn one spur after i put a pic up here. i have been reading to learn so i can know to pick out some good birds. i had thought the fb page was right since it got over 150 members and not much as been said about snything being worng. i thought sumatras had a hortzintal tail and someone said this one there but someone esle said its 15. can you tell me what is right?
the tail is long, broad and carried horizontal. You are correct.

Walt

thanks. i am saving money to buy some decent sumatra. i have some but from a hatchery and was told that they are cornish with more thrn one spur after i put a pic up here. i have been reading to learn so i can know to pick out some good birds. i had thought the fb page was right since it got over 150 members and not much as been said about snything being worng. i thought sumatras had a hortzintal tail and someone said this one there but someone esle said its 15. can you tell me what is right?
In APA the males are carried horizontal and the females are 15

This is a bird a roo I bought from Tom Kernan. The neck is not stretched so may be hard to tell but would these be considered dewlaps?

Not trying to be mean here, just posting a critique. His earlobes are larger than some of the good leghorn males I have seen out there. I have seen some bantams with saggy lobes like that but never a large fowl, he is largefowl, right?

Not trying to be mean here, just posting a critique. His earlobes are larger than some of the good leghorn males I have seen out there. I have seen some bantams with saggy lobes like that but never a large fowl, he is largefowl, right?
I have seen lots of sumatras with that type of earlobes. So this is not desirable?
Anyone have pictures of the more desired earlobes?

Back
Top Bottom