Sumatra Thread!

Okay I have the beds dug out and I am putting brick down on top of weed blocker... but if I put all bricks across this gives the birds nothing to scratch in, but a solid layer of brick with a coop on top would prevent burrowing critters... ideas welcome as I have lost birds to predators many years ago and I am trying to prevent that from happening again.

The flyers I am not as worried about as the coop & run will be covered, cougar is unlikely but if it did jump the fence not much could stop it but a riffle and it is illegal to kill them in CA. Already had that conversation with Fish & Game when one was stalking my children in Grandma's back yard and tried to kill the guy mowing the lawn the next week. There are more than a few living in the suburbs of this county eating small pets from people's yards.

I am nocking off for today, will probably work more on it on Tuesday at lunch as Monday during my lunch I have to stay at work and train on my own time.

I over did it I am sure.

Hubby came out to check on me and discovered the tree issue, he over did it trying to cut up the big branch, and then he got really sad as he could see all the work I have done, plus what needs to be done & he feels like he is a bad hubby 'cause he is so ill and can not do things like he used too, I keep telling him it is okay, but he gets so sad. I want to get the back nice so he can enjoy it safely.

Peace my friends.

If you do a solid brick bottom, you could leave a hole in the very middle for the dust bath area. I have also heard of people making a small sand box for them to dust bathe in.

Maybe I can find some scrap meshing or chicken wire to put on top of the weed blocker & then put sand in the hole?

Here is the type of coop I will be building: mine is green though.

Last edited:
Wow.....you were very energetic on the yard. It is looking good.

I like ramirezframings idea of leaving a hole, free area in the middle.
You could get a large shallow tote the set in there with some dirt/sand/DE
mix in it for them to use. You could clean it like a kitty box with one of
those slotted scoops.

Oh good idea I had not thought of kitty litter/totes that would work perfect, contain the sand nicely.

Yep I ache this AM...lol. But I need to get it all cleaned up out there anyhow. Basically imagine a whole yard like the few pictures I posted... I will try and get more done ASAP. I had a very nice garden until work, natural disasters & illnesses hit (I am still recovering from being exposed to a huge blast of black mold spores into my lungs at work so I am not 100% either) and now it really needs to all be over hauled. I need to trim up the fruit trees too. My biggest bane is the black berry poky vines & cleavers... I will try and mow down the mallow/mustards/radishes & sundry big weeds along fence line this week... just the poor mower over heats. As of last night my compost pile was 5 feet high, from just the one section I did.

Do any of you all wrap rope on the roost poles?

Thanks guys, everyone have a great & safe day! I got to get to work now.
Wow.....you were very energetic on the yard. It is looking good.

I like ramirezframings idea of leaving a hole, free area in the middle.
You could get a large shallow tote the set in there with some dirt/sand/DE
mix in it for them to use. You could clean it like a kitty box with one of
those slotted scoops.

Oh good idea I had not thought of kitty litter/totes that would work perfect, contain the sand nicely.

Yep I ache this AM...lol. But I need to get it all cleaned up out there anyhow. Basically imagine a whole yard like the few pictures I posted... I will try and get more done ASAP. I had a very nice garden until work, natural disasters & illnesses hit (I am still recovering from being exposed to a huge blast of black mold spores into my lungs at work so I am not 100% either) and now it really needs to all be over hauled. I need to trim up the fruit trees too. My biggest bane is the black berry poky vines & cleavers... I will try and mow down the mallow/mustards/radishes & sundry big weeds along fence line this week... just the poor mower over heats. As of last night my compost pile was 5 feet high, from just the one section I did.

Do any of you all wrap rope on the roost poles?

Thanks guys, everyone have a great & safe day! I got to get to work now.
Quote: That is a real good place for bugs and such to hide out, just use something big enough for the foot to have a almost flat/slightly curved place for roosting.
Scott

It all depends on the individual males themselves. 

Hmm okay thanks. I have a JG/BSL cross rooster, he is twenty weeks, and still no crowing or anything.

Does anyone have a sumatra rooster that's pretty mellow with other birds they would ship to MI? Not for sure yet, I just want to see if there even is one out there. :)

Back
Top Bottom