Sumatra Thread!

Hello fellow BYC folk,
So I just inherited a 9 month old black Sumatra hen from a friend and I know next to nothing about the breed. From what I've noticed, she seems very wary of people and other chickens. After a week long quarantine, my flock is still quite wary of her. My girls are all laying hens. How is this breed with regards to egg production? Are there any special needs/behaviors that I should be prepared for? I will post a photo of her soon. TIA!

Hello fellow BYC folk,
So I just inherited a 9 month old black Sumatra hen from a friend and I know next to nothing about the breed. From what I've noticed, she seems very wary of people and other chickens. After a week long quarantine, my flock is still quite wary of her. My girls are all laying hens. How is this breed with regards to egg production? Are there any special needs/behaviors that I should be prepared for? I will post a photo of her soon. TIA!

My Sumatra lays maybe 4-6 eggs a week. Mine just doesn't like to be held, she is a little assertive but a good hen.

Good luck with her!

So far so good. She content to stay perched on the high roost while everybody else free ranges.

I have a black sumatra named Malaya. We got her this year in early May. She is really flighty and is almost impossible to catch when she's outside.

Hello fellow BYC folk,
Hello ! Sumatras is a special breed , mines don,t get along with other breeds , they are quite cruel toward each other , they like space and wide pens and their hierarchy is strong . I cant keep them with phoenix hens or they will constantly pick and hurt phoenix just for fun !!! They are a gamy breed ... my lines are gamy . They are good layers except during the molt . They are a bit wild and flighty , one broody Sumatra hen attacked me today , i,m lucky she don't have spurs ! they need proteins specially during the molt and cocks need space for their long tails if they drag the ground . my cocks have 33 inches long tails . I love them anyway , nothing beat their beauty
big_smile.png

Hello !  Sumatras is a special breed , mines don,t get along with other breeds , they are quite cruel  toward each other , they like space and wide pens  and their hierarchy is  strong . I cant keep them with phoenix hens or they will  constantly pick and hurt  phoenix   just for fun !!!  They are a gamy breed ... my lines are gamy . They are good layers except during the molt .  They are a bit  wild and flighty , one broody Sumatra hen attacked me today , i,m lucky she don't have spurs !  they need proteins specially during the molt and cocks need space for their long tails if they drag the ground . my cocks have 33 inches long tails . I love them anyway , nothing beat their beauty :D  

I've noticed that she is very aggressive. She seeks to be the dominant hen. My girls don't like her. She's constantly pecking at them. My dominant hen is a big Buff Orpington and she tries her best to shield the other birds. I hope the hierarchy sorts itself out peacefully without any damage otherwise I might have to find her a new home.

I've noticed that she is very aggressive. She seeks to be the dominant hen. My girls don't like her. She's constantly pecking at them. My dominant hen is a big Buff Orpington and she tries her best to shield the other birds. I hope the hierarchy sorts itself out peacefully without any damage otherwise I might have to find her a new home.
yes my hens are agressive too , they gave hardtime to my big Cornish hens this summer , i have to keep them in separate pens . They really like the dominancy . Some lines are quiet and calm , but i have sumatras since more than 20 years and they always been like that and i have different lines . Just watch her and see if she continue to pecks the others . Some of my hens have a so bad charachter , i don,t know what to do with them ...maybe soup ?!!! hahaha

Back
Top Bottom