Sumatra Thread!

Quick question! I bought a trio of Sumatras in March, a rooster and two hens - my rooster (Manolo) only seems to like his two Sumatra hens. In my batch of hatchery chicks I have Wyandottes, Cochin Bantams, Welsummers, Easter Eggers, Porcelains, Mille Fleurs... hens in all those breeds, but Manolo only likes his Sumatra hens, Maria and Nina. Since Maria and Nina both hatched out chicks, they hate my rooster, but he has found new love in my "exotic breed" hen who appears to be a poor quality Sumatra... (or something). Still, he does not care for any other hens.

Do Sumatras only like other Sumatras? Well, maybe my rooster in particular, because Nina hatched out some lovely Cochin x Sumatra babies.. I've heard that Sumatra roosters are only aggressive with other Sumatra roos, but I see him often enough chasing my frizzle cochin roos (maybe because one of his wives had some interesting colored babies).

I wouldn't mind some mixed babies from him though :)
He is obviously not a purebred Sumatra, notice the single comb. Sumatras should have a fairly tight peacomb.This one is 7 months old in these photos.

This is a nice comb shape, (this is not my picture)

This one has a bit too much wattle and while comb is nice in shape, it should be darker.

i am very down today, my beautiful sumatra rooster was killed by a fox,
sad.png
RIP Shadow i will miss you and remember you always.
hit.gif

i am very down today, my beautiful sumatra rooster was killed by a fox,
sad.png
RIP Shadow i will miss you and remember you always.
hit.gif

sad to here miss applebutter with the doctor, if you were closer to san diego I would give you a pair because I have to many . I have a 4 month old cockerel and six females of wich I could part with 1 or2 to a good home, im keeping my other male EL BRUTO and 4 hens is good for him. I hope you feel better and I understand your loss
GODBLESS
ART

I'm parting with 2 Sumatra roos if there is anyone nearby CT or MA that's interested. Very good quality birds. I don't have pics at the moment but can post when I have time to get out there and take a couple. PM if interested. I will be bringing them to Little Rhody on Sunday. Thanks,

I have a young beautiful Trio of Sumatra's I plan on breeding and trying to get "Splash" as a recognized colour for the breed. My birds are all hand tamed and my roo, and one of the hens are trained to fly up on my arm on command. I am trying to find a show class or an event some where close by in BC where I can show them or their tricks, lovely colour and flying skils. This is my rooster, and my smallest hen (I call her a Blues Splash because she has some black patched on her other side.)

My Roosters tale is about twice the length it is in this photo now, and he has started to crow, mind you he doesn't sound very chicken like yet, but he's trying.

this is el bruto, he is my keeper 4and a half months

his spurs have not started growing yet, his saddle and tail developed very well. im happy with this guy. his strait tail feathers are not fully grown out yet his saddle was long when he first sprouted them

Back
Top Bottom