Sumatra Thread!

I'm no expert, but his tail looks a little thin....
hu.gif
Very beautiful!!

yes he is still growing out his strait tail feathers, ive been told it takes 2 years for tail feathers to fully develop but yes and im expecting a lot more growth

I'm not sure what exactly possessed me to get one, but I am oh so glad I did! I only have one Sumatra, a black one called Hera.
She's absolutely beautiful and sweet if not a bit timid, and is rather prolific at laying beautiful white/cream eggs! Seriously, she almost keeps up with my RIR's!

I have six hens, and by far, she's one of the nicer ones! I'm worried about winter, but we do try to keep it warmer up in the coop for the girls. If it does get too cold, she might get spoiled and be a house chicken for the season. :)

I have six hens, and by far, she's one of the nicer ones! I'm worried about winter, but we do try to keep it warmer up in the coop for the girls. If it does get too cold, she might get spoiled and be a house chicken for the season. :)
In my experience, Sumatras are very cold hardy. As long as they have a place to be out of the wind they will be fine.

tacmo, its their unique beauty that's what did it 4 me. I must have been 9 or 10 years old when I saw them in books and I knew I would get some .im 40 now so I first saw them before the internet

I hope so! Half of what I'm reading on them says COld Hardy, and half seems to say they are a bit sensitive. Still hoping for a mild winter either way! :)

Quote:
looks like his saddle hackles are starting to grow out,i see a few pointy feathers on his back

Yes, his saddle feathers are in now. I need to get some recent photos of him :) His tail is also coming in nicely. Compared to y other two Heritage Breeds, I find that Sumatra roosters mature faster. Despite everything I have been told about all Heritage breeds matter slowly.

Back
Top Bottom