Sumatra Thread!

Quote:

Yes, his saddle feathers are in now. I need to get some recent photos of him :) His tail is also coming in nicely. Compared to y other two Heritage Breeds, I find that Sumatra roosters mature faster. Despite everything I have been told about all Heritage breeds matter slowly.

I have 2 out of 6 Sumatra roos left and 1 has developed his feathers faster than the other , probably depends on the individual birds also maybe

I hope so!  Half of what I'm reading on them says COld Hardy, and half seems to say they are a bit sensitive.  Still hoping for a mild winter either way!  :)

I don't know you said they're sensitive but simply put, they have peacombs and no wattles. That's the first thing that tells you they won't get frost bite. They are a pretty gamey wild breed and thick plumage so I'd say 100% they are cold hardy without a doubt.

Last edited:
Glad to hear it. She's kind of my favorite hen. :) Tonight we're going to dip below freezing........hope everyone's chickens in the Northeast stay warm in their coops tonight!

Hi! I'm a new chicken keeper! I have 2 black sumatra hens and an easter egger. When should I expect my sumatra's to lay eggs. They are all 21 weeks old. My mixed sumatra rooster who is the same age tried to mount them but the girls just freak out and run away, does that mean they're not ready to lay yet? How old was your sumatra when she laid her first egg? thanks in advance for your responses!

Hi! I'm a new chicken keeper! I have 2 black sumatra hens and an easter egger. When should I expect my sumatra's to lay eggs. They are all 21 weeks old. My mixed sumatra rooster who is the same age tried to mount them but the girls just freak out and run away, does that mean they're not ready to lay yet? How old was your sumatra when she laid her first egg? thanks in advance for your responses!

I too would like to know when I can expect my girls to start laying. My are only 15 week and my roo is starting to crow and keep the girls close to him, one of them never leaves his side. He hasn't tried to mount them yet though

None of you should have to wait much longer! My Hera started laying at the beginning of the month, right about her five month birthday. :)

Beautiful little white/cream eggs, only slightly smaller than the rest of my hens of other breeds, and nearly every day, or every other day!

None of you should have to wait much longer! My Hera started laying at the beginning of the month, right about her five month birthday. :)

Beautiful little white/cream eggs, only slightly smaller than the rest of my hens of other breeds, and nearly every day, or every other day!

ima check if my chickens are swelling up back there

Back
Top Bottom