Sumatra Thread!

Those "not sumatras" would have to have been crossed with BLRW or RIR because the breeder doesn't hatch mixes on purpose (and those are the only breeds she keeps). The breeder had been working on obtaining new colors. While this was the only birchen one she hatched, there were several blue-birchen birds available. Sumatras do come in lots of fancy colors overseas, just in case you weren't aware, lol. As the birchen rooster does not have any of the characteristics (comb, build, temperament, etc) to suggest he is a mix, I must therefore conclude he is not a mix, though he may not be a showable color or have the most immaculate type. He is a very "good bird" for me; how kind of you to notice

Those "not sumatras" would have to have been crossed with BLRW or RIR because the breeder doesn't hatch mixes on purpose (and those are the only breeds she keeps). The breeder had been working on obtaining new colors. While this was the only birchen one she hatched, there were several blue-birchen birds available. Sumatras do come in lots of fancy colors overseas, just in case you weren't aware, lol. As the birchen rooster does not have any of the characteristics (comb, build, temperament, etc) to suggest he is a mix, I must therefore conclude he is not a mix, though he may not be a showable color or have the most immaculate type. He is a very "good bird" for me; how kind of you to notice

I have to chime in. You state "Those "not sumatras" would have to have been crossed with BLRW or RIR because the breeder doesn't hatch mixes on purpose." So because they were unintentional they are not crosses? It is a crossed project bird. Is there an entire flock that breeds true to Sumatra standards? Tune me in if I missed something but I saw these being called mutt, and mixes in previous posts. Sure they come in different colors overseas but was this "Birchen" imported or bred from those imported lines? I haven't read any info here that would suggest that. There's nothing wrong with having a mix for a pet, but it seems to me your calling it a purebred of an unrecognized color and your not even the breeder of it. That doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
I have to chime in. You state "Those "not sumatras" would have to have been crossed with BLRW or RIR because the breeder doesn't hatch mixes on purpose." So because they were unintentional they are not crosses? It is a crossed project bird. Is there an entire flock that breeds true to Sumatra standards? Tune me in if I missed something but I saw these being called mutt, and mixes in previous posts. Sure they come in different colors overseas but was this "Birchen" imported or bred from those imported lines? I haven't read any info here that would suggest that. There's nothing wrong with having a mix for a pet, but it seems to me your calling it a purebred of an unrecognized color and your not even the breeder of it. That doesn't make sense.

I had an easter egger that looked just like that birchen but mine had a muff and no Sumatra in him. I hatched him out of a blue egg my self.

he was quite aggressive fought with my dogs so I had to cage him, maybe he did have Sumatra, I don't know, I bought a dozen eating eggs on a road trip and two hatched. him and her

Back
Top Bottom