Sumatra Thread!

BTW every puppy I have saved here has had coccidia and I will assume it is the same with the chickens and my land is probably infected too as I am the third owner of it and the virus is quite long lived.

Is best practice to vaccinate against it or to feed medicated food once I move them outdoors? Would love people's input here.

Oh dear, I would vaccinate myself, and supplement feed with immune boosting foods, probably add ACV to water.

Some folks are antivaccine, I am not if I have the option to prevent a problem I take it.

Oh wow. I had no idea that dogs could get coccidiosis too!

It's not a virus though. I read that it's actually a protozoa that is naturally in soil but becomes more active and infectious in wet soil- rainy seasons. It spreads quickly because the protozoa multiply within the chicken and release in feces, entering the dirt again for other previously uninfected birds.

Vaccination is a great guarantee against it but I think it has to be done when they are tiny chicks. However, medicated chick feed uses a thymine blocker to stop the protozoa from reproducing after it enters the bird... I think. In that way, they develop an immunity to it by the time they reach adulthood and then the medicated feed is no longer needed. Juveniles are susceptibility to coccidia, but adult birds are fairly safe unless their systems are compromised. i'm remembering this from a youtube video on this in commercial flocks when they first identified it.

Other steps to prevent the spread of the protozoa is to discourage your birds from eating their feed off the ground. You can use hanging or suspended feeders that they can't scratch the feed out of.

I believe in the power of ACV, but I don't know what it can do against a protozoa...

Well after making multiple phone calls seems medicated feed is the only option I have not one of the Avian vets in my county offer the vaccine. And I don't want to order the 1000 dose vial for 55 dollars for 10 chicks. As it needs to remain cool in transit and this is Deep South Texas so I wouldn't trust anyone to get it here in a viable condition this time of year when most of the State is hitting 100 degrees already. I'm lucky here on the coast we usually only hit the mid 90's and have a nice onshore breeze(which is why my wife made me move here). In reply to Then I Will I don't believe raising their feed will mitigate the risk as your birds will still pick up grit/dirt off the ground to infect themselves.

[QUOTE="AllenK@new2this, In reply to Then I Will I don't believe raising their feed will mitigate the risk as your birds will still pick up grit/dirt off the ground to infect themselves.[/QUOTE]

I don't believe it mitigates the risk of infection either. Chickens peck the ground all day long as they were created to do. But it was listed as one way to mitigate the risk. It's like- oh, hand washing will mitigate your risk of contracting norovirus, but we just discovered that if you walk into the same room as the vomiting person and breathe, you can get it.
So, it's just one of those things. Hanging feeders are still cleaner though. It won't hurt to try them. :thumbsup

Also, the medicated feed only needs to be used until they reach adult hood. It's $8 a bag from TSC which is way expensive, but buying Corrid to put in the water is much more expensive and you only do it after your flock becomes sick....

[QUOTE="AllenK@new2this, In reply to Then I Will I don't believe raising their feed will mitigate the risk as your birds will still pick up grit/dirt off the ground to infect themselves.

I don't believe it mitigates the risk of infection either. Chickens peck the ground all day long as they were created to do. But it was listed as one way to mitigate the risk. It's like- oh, hand washing will mitigate your risk of contracting norovirus, but we just discovered that if you walk into the same room as the vomiting person and breathe, you can get it.
So, it's just one of those things. Hanging feeders are still cleaner though. It won't hurt to try them. :thumbsup

Also, the medicated feed only needs to be used until they reach adult hood. It's $8 a bag from TSC which is way expensive, but buying Corrid to put in the water is much more expensive and you only do it after your flock becomes sick....[/QUOTE]
I agree mitigation and best practices go a long way with health promotion and I will follow practices for this flock. Being a retired nurse I have some common sense=) I just was hoping I could immunize vs. trusting to self immunization and loss of livestock as the inevitable. I wish people in my region had more respect for their livestock so immunizations would have been on hand at my Country Vet. Not trying to push a product here but has anyone tried the(see below) It is 100 bucks cheaper than The Chicken Fountain I was looking at but looks perfectly acceptable as a continuous water source, but higher maintenance to keep it clean and healthy vs. the build and forget it Chicken Fountain.
Little Giant Automatic Poultry Waterer w/ Cover, 5 quart?

Some, depends on how much sand she's been rolling in. :lau I'm noticing it more on her flanks and tail and some purples around her shoulders. Can't believe how fast almost 7 weeks have gone by, they grow up so quickly.
If it does turn out to be male and you decide to keep it there is a new product called "No Crow Collar" that the reviews are mostly positive on from what I have read online. Then you won't need to give your precious bird away!:duc

So Sumatra lovers!!
SOP!

I've created myself a list from what I've gathered and want some feedback! Are there things I have missed, or gotten incorrect? What have you learned about properly judging Sumatras at the shows? I have found no info on comb and wattle color- could use some help there, as well as black toenails vs. yellow toenails.

Black Sumatra Standard of Perfection

Horizontal/Parallel tail carriage in males. Level with ground. This is more important than a long or lustrous tail.

Multiple spurs: 2,3,4,5,6,7. NEVER single spur. Cull single spur. 5 spurs is not better than 2 spurs. They just need to have more than one spur per leg.

Small Pea comb and almost non-existent wattles. No mention of color, red vs. black.

Yellow soles of feet – different shades, will fluctuate seasonally. Cull pink soles.

Black and brown eyes preferred. Orange, yellow, and red are exotic but not all judges will like this.

Feather sheen – purple can be genetic, but also stress related.

Choosing birds to cross –
Females: Multiple spur bumps, dark eyes, small combs, green! Tail carriage: 15 degrees (give or take)

Males: Level tail carriage, Plump saddle feathers, less sickle and covert feathers, multiple spurs.
Always favor sweet disposition!!

Guess who is turning green all over after a nice rain washed the dust off her feathers. :love

IMG_0773.JPG IMG_0843.JPG IMG_0808.JPG IMG_0899.JPG

Back
Top Bottom