Sumatra Thread!

OK update on my brood....Currently we are preparing for Hurricaine Harvey just a TS now but fortunately it will allow me to bury hardware cloth into the ground for their coop. My straight run from MPC got me 7 roos to 3 hens according to their feathering, but since
I don't want eggs that is perfectly fine. I'm just now starting to see a bit of the green sheen in their feathering but it is so slight it cannot be photographed. I am still so happy I have not lost a single soul from my order. I was horribly traumatized this morning on my way to the store as I just witnessed 2 dogs run over on my way to the store to get my coffee and breakfast tacos. I know the people behind me were annoyed as I covered my face in horror witnessing this act. That is just who I am.
Just stay safe, and there is nothing wrong with being upset by animals being run over... hugs.

I completely misunderstood Allen's post. I thought he was upset by seeing two dogs running toward his coop... I agree, It's always hard to see animals getting hit by a car. I would have been in a sullen mood for well over a couple of hours.

As for Tattooedchick's Kiki- it's amazing how their breed personalities seem to shine through so well. I named my most cuddly Sumatra - Magik - because her eyes are bright yellow .... and seem to change wit the lighting as well. It's so distinct I can immediately tell her apart from all of the other Sumatras. She really is Magic...

tumblr_mk89514vVz1r4ocdmo3_500.gif

Well poo my plan didn't work out we were barely grazed by Harvey but I certainly wouldn't have wanted a direct hit or what Houston is going through. We had only one real rain band out of that storm. for .25 inches =( Ground is still hard as concrete! I think I need to rent a jackhammer to install the hardware cloth in the ground.

Wow my Roos are getting fighty. Finally moved them outdoors and have armored their home so raccoons can't get at them. Regardless I did the 2am check on them and they seem fine. We finally have a name for one of them his name is 10, after counting only 9 of them for a night. We now know who 10 is. He slept out of the coop for the first night and managed to survive the coyotes and raccoons.

So happy that I started with 10 and still have 10. I was under the impression only 80% would live and chicken are deaththat you just have to adjust to.

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to mention my birds love Mango's more than cucumbers or watermelons. Thankfully they are so cheap at 4 for a dollar around here. I love watching them tear into a mango. Sure I can buy 10 cucumbers for one dollar they just don't like them as much.

What treats are you feeding your babies?

Last edited:
Kiki is 11 weeks old and lovelier than ever. Her magic charms have even got my shyest bird following her into my lap for cuddle time. She's a flock favorite with her laid back personality and willingness to share all the big bugs she finds. :love
what a lovely girl you have! Mine don't love me like that unless I am holding a mango.

Oh I forgot to mention my birds love Mango's more than cucumbers or watermelons. Thankfully they are so cheap at 4 for a dollar around here. I love watching them tear into a mango. Sure I can buy 10 cucumbers for one dollar they just don't like them as much.

What treats are you feeding your babies?
Grapes, cherry tomatoes and scrambled eggs are top treats around here, and I try to do positive reinforcement when they get their favorites by sitting on the ground and simply holding the food in my lap/hands. Boom, drowning in chickens at this point with or without treats. :D I'll have to try mango, but it's pricey stuff here.

Back
Top Bottom