Sumatra Thread!

9210B271-109F-4E75-BB68-00CE7403E425.jpeg

Such a lovely lady, and so solid under those satiny feathers! None of my other bantams have quite the ‘meaty’, tone quality that Kiki does. She’s got such power in her legs and shoulders.

View attachment 1171520
Such a lovely lady, and so solid under those satiny feathers! None of my other bantams have quite the ‘meaty’, tone quality that Kiki does. She’s got such power in her legs and shoulders.
She has a great looking gypsy face, with what appears to be the darker eye color from the breeder. I have them in dark and light brown eyes. Does your still tolerate being picked up? Not one of mine like it not one single bit they scream bloody murder until they are 100% securely tucked in to a football hold. Fortunately they still hover around me whenever I am outdoors so I got my imprint anyway and they are easy to catch if I need.

She has a great looking gypsy face, with what appears to be the darker eye color from the breeder. I have them in dark and light brown eyes. Does your still tolerate being picked up? Not one of mine like it not one single bit they scream bloody murder until they are 100% securely tucked in to a football hold. Fortunately they still hover around me whenever I am outdoors so I got my imprint anyway and they are easy to catch if I need.
Super beautiful deep brown eyes, they’re very charming. :love
And I can scoop her up almost whenever because she hangs around me frequently, plus she’ll usually chat at me in her weird dinosaur trill and lately she’s discovered how warm it can be to snuggle up into the side of my sweater. Very affectionate bird, the most of any of my dozen pullets of Cochins, oegbs, ees, and japs.

I’ll have to record one of our chats tomorrow.

Super beautiful deep brown eyes, they’re very charming. :love
And I can scoop her up almost whenever because she hangs around me frequently, plus she’ll usually chat at me in her weird dinosaur trill and lately she’s discovered how warm it can be to snuggle up into the side of my sweater. Very affectionate bird, the most of any of my dozen pullets of Cochins, oegbs, ees, and japs.

I’ll have to record one of our chats tomorrow.
Hehe, I hoe nobody ever records me talking to my flock. That would be embarrasing. Wel I FINALLY figured out how to sex my flock just this evening and after subtracting 2 roo's (neighbor liked their looks). I have 5 pullets and 3 cockerel. The Cocks necks gave it away with all those painful looking blood feathers. Once I was 100% certain on them the females became very obvious by their body feathering ending in heart shaped lobes. So happy that my wife's favorte roo isn't one so no chance of getting culled. Myers/MPC sent me a 50/50 mix for a straight run and I am happy for that. Now they only cost me $16.67 per bird for the ones I will be keeping.
:wee:wee:wee:wee

A while back I posted a picture of my Sumatra and the consensus seemed to be that it was a cockerel. The bird is nearly six months old at this point and has not crowed. Also, my Dominique's eggs are not fertilized. I'm holding out some hope here that this is a hen and not a rooster. What say the forum?

IMG_3146.JPG

A while back I posted a picture of my Sumatra and the consensus seemed to be that it was a cockerel. The bird is nearly six months old at this point and has not crowed. Also, my Dominique's eggs are not fertilized. I'm holding out some hope here that this is a hen and not a rooster. What say the forum?

View attachment 1177090
At first glance I’d say this bird has a masculine aura, but the Sumatra is suppose to be very male-looking, with hens valued for more rooster like traits. It seems though that at 6 months yours should have at least some saddle or hackle feathers beginning to drape. I think you got lucky and got a nice pullet, does she have any spur buds coming up?

View attachment 1177090
I say pullet let me send you a link to what I figured out sexing them. #1 no comb, #2 bifurcated heart shaped feathering, #3 no sicle feathers, #4&5 I need a top down photo.

here is the link let me know if it needs to be made into an article sexing Sumatra, the females are so roo like in their agression towards my roos.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/leghorns-19-weeks-to-first-eggs.1202841/page-17

Last edited:
[
At first glance I’d say this bird has a masculine aura, but the Sumatra is suppose to be very male-looking, with hens valued for more rooster like traits. It seems though that at 6 months yours should have at least some saddle or hackle feathers beginning to drape. I think you got lucky and got a nice pullet, does she have any spur buds coming up?

Thank you, I don't see any spur buds.

I say pullet let me send you a link to what I figured out sexing them. #1 no comb, #2 bifurcated heart shaped feathering, #3 no sicle feathers, #4&5 I need a top down photo.

here is the link let me know if it needs to be made into an article sexing Sumatra, the females are so roo like in their agression towards my roos.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/leghorns-19-weeks-to-first-eggs.1202841/page-17

Thank you. It's too late in today to get a top-down photo, but I will endeavor to get one as soon as convenient. I do believe that the feathers near her tail do have that bifurcated shape to them. She doesn't have any of those stringy, pointy feathers on her body.

Interestingly (given the way you describe the typical personality of the breed) she has zero aggression. All my other chickens (Dominique, Fayoumi, Appenzeller Spitzhauben, Welsummer, Easter Egger) are boisterous and noisy, challenging each other and sprinting around seemingly at random. She is very shy and quiet, like a little shadow.

Here is a top-down photo. I do believe I see bifurcated feathers like the ones demonstrated in the thread you included.

shadowback.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom