Summer Brooding

HomesteadDucks

Chirping
Jul 7, 2015
Last year I raised 13 ducklings, 2 goslings and 2 chicks all together in the same brooder. To put it lightly it was a crowded (for me not them), smelly, nightmare. Not that they didn't get along. They were all good friends. But I do not want to sacrifice that many weeks of my life converting my entire bedroom into a brooder. This year I am going to purchase more chicks and I am wondering if it would be possible to keep them outside with my adult chickens without any brooder. The idea is that if I purchase them in the height of summer (where daytime temperatures reach 90+ degrees) they will stay warm naturally and as autumn rolls in they will experience the gradual drop in temperature like they would in a brooder. Is this plausible? Chickens raise their young outside anyway so I don't see how it would be any different. The only thing I can think of is possibly making them a separate house to sleep at night or maybe a separate enclosure all together so that they don't get trampled. Is that a concern at all?

The older ones will bully and even kill the chicks. If you have a hen that hatched the eggs and raised them, that will be fine though. Also, Coccidiosis is worst in warm weather, and the chicks will develop diseases from the adults...

Back
Top Bottom