Summer molting?

Likely happening during roosting.
I would still give her a look over for lice/mites - it may be another hen is grooming her for bugs. It may also be just grooming her for no reason at all. Possible whoever is nibbling the feathers just has a bad habit or ....? Chickens can be weird.

For some reason I was not seeing your other replies. OK. You did have a rooster. Some of the damage is likely from him, even though he's now gone. Damaged feathers won't be replaced until molt.
BUT, I would still observe during roosting, I still think someone is nipping off feathers.
Thank you Wyrop

I'm in North Texas and I'm seeing the same thing. I have three that have not laid in weeks. I have check for mites. Nobody is egg bound. Food has not changed. Our temps have been normal for July in Texas (low to upper 90's). I figured the lack of eggs was due to the stress of our two new additions, but I started to see a lot of feathers from both my brahmas. My buff brahma is definitely molting...she's shakes and feathers go everywhere and she's looking like a pin cushion.

Greeting everyone. My chickens appear to be molting. This seems very unusual for late spring-early summer. We are having a bad heatwave (102-106). Normally it is high 80s mid-90s. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? Please let me know and all suggestions are appreciated.
I just noticed 2 of my hens molting this week. Florida hot summer but seems odd. I’ve checked them for mites and they are only 3 years old. I’m looking for answers too.

I'm in North Texas and I'm seeing the same thing. I have three that have not laid in weeks. I have check for mites. Nobody is egg bound. Food has not changed. Our temps have been normal for July in Texas (low to upper 90's). I figured the lack of eggs was due to the stress of our two new additions, but I started to see a lot of feathers from both my brahmas. My buff brahma is definitely molting...she's shakes and feathers go everywhere and she's looking like a pin cushion.
Same here in florida.

Back
Top Bottom