Sun time affecting egg-laying?

Kajoda929

Songster
Apr 27, 2020
Central California
I am thoroughly confused. I have nine older girls and only one of them is laying. My Ameraucana girls are 32 weeks old. They do not have mites, lice, worms, or anything like that to my knowledge. They get a good amount of protein, separate from their feed, since it lacks in itself. They have plenty of calcium every day and I watch them eat it, separate from their food, consistently. About two months ago, one, and only one, of my Ameraucana was laying with my Cemani, but then, she all of s sudden quit.

A friend looked it up herself and, from what she found, not enough sunny hours in the day can cause no eggs? But that seems so weird when my Cemani lays almost every day, even with less daylight hours now, and that one had been laying for a couple weeks, but no others...I'm just very confused.

Day light period has a profound impact on egg production. Unless purchased from a breeder, your Ameraucana are very likely Easter Eggers. They are relatively good layers depending upon the source, but are more selected for egg color than early start of production. Bottom line is that they will eventually lay.

This question keeps coming up, you will find similar answers with a quick search, going back years. Yes, the number of daylight hours has a profound influence on laying, and yes, first year birds which have not begun laying prior to light hours dropping below some critical number are unlikely to start laying until Spring, when the daylight hours climb above that critical number.

As example from my own flock of first years, during the height of late summer, with just over a dozen birds of "laying age", I was getting 7-9 eggs daily. Now, in spite of a whole 'nother breed of birds (and a breed famed for winter laying - my Brahma) reaching "laying age", I receive just 3-4 eggs daily. In the Spring, I expect I may collect a dozen+ eggs each day with my flock, below (see sig).

Back
Top Bottom