Sunburn, Pox, or something else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hairlesshorse, Sep 3, 2013.

1. hairlesshorse

hairlesshorse Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    Henderson, KY
    Our aphla roo has what looks like charred spots on his comb. His back blade is black almost like it is supposed to be that color. The front has spots that someone else said looks like Pox. He had the bumps when we got him over two months ago and they went away in about a week. It is our understanding that they can only get Pox once. It has been very hot the last week and that is when they returned. Any ideas? I am not sure how to post a pic to show you what he looks like. I will keep trying

2. hairlesshorse

Mar 7, 2013
    Henderson, KY
    [​IMG]

3. hairlesshorse

Mar 7, 2013
    Henderson, KY
    This is what my roo looks like and the spots i was talking about.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It looks like it could be pox.

-Kathy

5. hairlesshorse

Mar 7, 2013
    Henderson, KY
    Can they get pox more than once? I ask because he had these over 2 months ago and it went away. The spots came back this last week once it got really hot. I have read they only get pox once.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I honestly don't know.

-Kathy

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There are two other strains of fowl pox that chickens can get; canary pox and pigeon pox. I dont believe that you're dealing with pox though. It looks like some kind of insect bites have caused bleeding and hens are pecking at the bites. Try putting Blu-Kote on them, avoid the eyes when using it. Also visually inspect your roo for mites, especially around the vent area.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Great, that's all I need, lol.

-Kathy

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

The way your luck is going, you might have all three rolled into one!!! Sheesh. :(

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    At least two are getting better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by