Sunburn, Pox, or something else?

hairlesshorse

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
Henderson, KY
Our aphla roo has what looks like charred spots on his comb. His back blade is black almost like it is supposed to be that color. The front has spots that someone else said looks like Pox. He had the bumps when we got him over two months ago and they went away in about a week. It is our understanding that they can only get Pox once. It has been very hot the last week and that is when they returned. Any ideas? I am not sure how to post a pic to show you what he looks like. I will keep trying

Can they get pox more than once? I ask because he had these over 2 months ago and it went away. The spots came back this last week once it got really hot. I have read they only get pox once.

There are two other strains of fowl pox that chickens can get; canary pox and pigeon pox. I dont believe that you're dealing with pox though. It looks like some kind of insect bites have caused bleeding and hens are pecking at the bites. Try putting Blu-Kote on them, avoid the eyes when using it. Also visually inspect your roo for mites, especially around the vent area.

There are two other strains of fowl pox that chickens can get; canary pox and pigeon pox. I dont believe that you're dealing with pox though. It looks like some kind of insect bites have caused bleeding and hens are pecking at the bites. Try putting Blu-Kote on them, avoid the eyes when using it. Also visually inspect your roo for mites, especially around the vent area.
Great, that's all I need, lol.

-Kathy

Great, that's all I need, lol.

-Kathy

The way your luck is going, you might have all three rolled into one!!! Sheesh. :(

Back
Top Bottom