Sunday's Turkey Processing with pics *graphic content* Now with Pics of cooked turkey!!!!!!!!

furbabymum

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Burns, Wyoming
So yesterday we processed 9 turkeys and 4 ducks. Here are some pics:

35lb live weight BBW tom. 26.25 processed

40lb processed weight Giant white.

Bourbon Red- dead hen

This is the Tom from the first picture.

Stringing up the 2 bourbon red hens.

Husband and BBW

Lucky our giant white preparing to meet his doom.

Catching Lucky the 60lb live weight turkey.

2 BBW hens preparing for gutting.

Our plucker. It did AMAZING!

Preparing the water in the scalding pot. We ended up having to elevate it on blocks because it was just too cold outside to heat up sufficiently with the heat stick.

All the pictures are out of order but owell. That was our Sunday. We had friends come over to help. 4 men and 2 women, including my husband and myself. The men did the catching, killing and plucking. They'd then bring the birds inside for us to eviscerate. They did 2 at a time when the turkeys were small but as they got larger we were just doing one at a time. My girlfriend and I had it down to a fine art. I'd cut off the oil gland then move and do all the neck work while she cut open the cavity and took out the guts. Then she'd clean the giblets up while I got out the lungs and washed the bird. Then we'd bag it and tag it. We were working quicker than the guy. Though they had beer so I'm sure there was a lot of standing around. :p

We have some video of the plucker in action but a friend uploaded it to Facebook and I'm not sure how to get it to share here. Same for a video of us gutting the BBW Tom. Owell. We worked for 7 hours. Quite the long day. My back aches!

Last edited:
Nothing better than processing with friends. The beer and laughter is tops. I noticed you nicknamed your birds, and lucky?? he's not so now. We call ours lovely, so when we eat them we can honestly say "that was lovely"

My wife won't have anything to do with the processing, though does a good job cooking them. I find the legs are very stringy and tough though, so looking for alternatives for the legs like sausages, stews etc.

VERY good job !!!!!!!!! You all should be very proud of what you did. That was hard work but you all got it done!!!!

:thumbsup

Thank you for posting your pics.

Would love to see the video. I LOVE your plucker!!! Do you mind sharing how you made it/instructions? I have broilers coming in January and I am getting a plucker built but would love to see someone else's designs.

Keep us posted on how you cooked your bird and post pics of the cooked bird and let us know how it tasted. :drool

Nothing better than processing with friends. The beer and laughter is tops. I noticed you nicknamed your birds, and lucky?? he's not so now. We call ours lovely, so when we eat them we can honestly say "that was lovely"

My wife won't have anything to do with the processing, though does a good job cooking them. I find the legs are very stringy and tough though, so looking for alternatives for the legs like sausages, stews etc.
We couldn't have done it alone. Lucky took 3 men to get out of the scalding pot. They all got to take home a turkey and a duck. I named him Lucky because he was the only giant white poult to survive. Thought that was rather lucky of him. lol I've never named anything else though.

I've showered and changed and I still smell like turkey guts and feel oily.

Last edited:
VERY good job !!!!!!!!! You all should be very proud of what you did. That was hard work but you all got it done!!!!

thumbsup.gif

Thank you for posting your pics.

Would love to see the video. I LOVE your plucker!!! Do you mind sharing how you made it/instructions? I have broilers coming in January and I am getting a plucker built but would love to see someone else's designs.

Keep us posted on how you cooked your bird and post pics of the cooked bird and let us know how it tasted.
droolin.gif
Since it was our friends who took the video and uploaded it to FB the only way I'd know to show it to you is to Facebook friend you. If you want to do that to look it's worth seeing. The plucker video is pretty impressive!

We didn't build the plucker though. My husband is awesome but he didn't feel capable of doing it. We bought one. It was REALLY expensive. lol Worth every penny now though! Look how cleanly plucked those turkeys are!

Back
Top Bottom