Sunflower seeds - shell or no shell?

Going Bhonkers

Songster
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
SW Florida
First off, are all sunflower seeds "Black oil sunflower seeds" ?

And can I have some clarification as to whether or not geese can eat them whole (with shells/ hulls on)? With the shells on, they look rather large, and I wonder if they might choke on them
hu.gif
Its just that, well, I've seen parrots take the seed shells off, so it makes me maybe I should remove hulls for my geese. (Hahaha, I know its wrong to compare parrots to geese, but I mean, they both have feathers and wings, so... maybe?
lol.png
)

I laugh, but I still feel kind of bashful for asking

Last edited:
Not all sunflower seeds are the Black oil type. There is also grey stripe (the type you would buy for yourself in a grocery store to munch on) and others. These types that are not black oil will frequently have thick tough shells and can have less oil or a different type of oil. The BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) have a thin shell that the birds can seem to digest and get the full benefit of the seed inside. The BOSS type is also a high oil type of sunflower so its higher in calories and heat value to the birds. At least that is what I understand. Anyway it is fine to feed BOSS type to the geese with the shell on as long as they have access to grit. I wouldn't bother with other types of sunflower seeds for the birds. Not enough benefit from the others compared with the BOSS.

Not all sunflower seeds are the Black oil type. There is also grey stripe (the type you would buy for yourself in a grocery store to munch on) and others. These types that are not black oil will frequently have thick tough shells and can have less oil or a different type of oil. The BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) have a thin shell that the birds can seem to digest and get the full benefit of the seed inside. The BOSS type is also a high oil type of sunflower so its higher in calories and heat value to the birds. At least that is what I understand. Anyway it is fine to feed BOSS type to the geese with the shell on as long as they have access to grit. I wouldn't bother with other types of sunflower seeds for the birds. Not enough benefit from the others compared with the BOSS.
Is grit different than just sandy dirt? How should I give my goose grit - in food, on the ground, in a separate bowl?

I put grit in a bowl close to the feed bowl they use it as needed. But if they are out on pasture or not penned up they are probably finding their own.

Back
Top Bottom