Sunflower Tips

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by cheepcheep riri, Feb 17, 2015.

1. cheepcheep riri

cheepcheep riri Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    Bandera,TX
    Im growing sunflowers from seed this year! The species is Russian mammoth. I'm in zone 9a. Any tips?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Give them lots of water, then you'd better stand back out of the way!

3. Tikalchicks

Tikalchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2015
    riverside California
    We planted sunflowers last year.they're easy and quick to grow.now we have flower sprouts (8"-16")all over the yard.Lazy Gardener is right give em water and stand back! They grow crazy wild.

4. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    I'd love to give advice...but our neighbor's chipmunks steal the seedlings before they've gotten a chance to take hold. This year, I'm starting them in 1gal pots indoors and transplanting when they're thicker to discourage the chipmunks from eating the whole caboodle (stem, seed, root!)
    Good luck!

5. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    I'm going to try some Russian Mammoth sunflowers this year, too! (I'm in zone 7a) Never had the space for sunflowers before.

Post pics as they grow. [​IMG]

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    We grew sunflowers for the 1st time last summer. The county extension guy said they attract bugs so we moved them (they were small at that time) away from the garden. Just as they were getting really nice heads, the squirrels found them.

We're trying again this year. How do you all keep the squirrels (and chipmunks) from eating the heads?

7. cheepcheep riri

Apr 16, 2014
    Bandera,TX
    We don't have chipmunks here. I think the only predator other than birds (of course), is just deer. I'll post some pics late today.

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I'm giving them a try again this year. The seedlings are just beginning to push up out of the ground.

I'm not sure what variety this is. When we drove through Kansas in January, they were giving packages of free sunflower seeds away at a visitors center. Those are the ones I planted, we'll see how they do here in FL.

9. cheepcheep riri

Apr 16, 2014
    Bandera,TX
    [​IMG]

This is the only one I tried to grow indoors.

10. Bine

Bine Chillin' With My Peeps

The bigger Sunflowers do better when you sow them direct into the garden soil. Pots are often block the rapid root growth. Water them, feed them and put a bag over the heads as soon as the bees are done, Birds and mice love dry sunflower seeds but go mad over seeds that are still a little juicy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by