Sunflowers

Penton

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 12, 2013
Yes, I know, the weather has been unseasonably cold, but I'm thinking about sunflowers. I live in the panhandle of Florida (and it's been below freezing here already!) and would like any and all information on growing sunflowers including the type of soil they need, best time to plant, special care, etc. I'm thinking ahead to Spring and all the wonderful promises that come with Spring. This weather reminds me of life. When life is cold and harsh, there can be warmth and promise around the corner. This year, Sunflowers!

Keep in mind the amount of wind you get when choosing what varieties you get and where you plant them. For instance, don't plant the extra tall sunflowers in areas of high wind without staking or protection -- they will get knocked over. If you are in a windy area I would recommend shorter sunflowers or planting them such that they get shelter from the wind.

Other than that, as long as they have a good climate and plenty of sun they spring up everywhere.

I'm in Colorado and I've already planted some seeds. Their first night out, it already froze, but I think the ground, it's OK.. I am keeping my fingers crossed anyway!
fl.gif
My first time ever planting sunflower seeds.. Good luck!

Yup, they will grow just about anywhere as long as they have good sun and water. I grow them around the perimeter of my garden. This way I can tie them against the fence as they grow higher. And, the chickens absolutely love those sunflower seeds!

Back
Top Bottom