Super Chicken!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by NickyPick, Sep 11, 2012.

1. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Apparently one of my new pullets is a Super Chicken. I recently bought 6 24 week old pullets and after their quarantine, merged them with my 18 month old flock this past weekend. One of them, a New Hampshire Red (Shale), is a houdini. She has managed to get out of every pen I have put her in so far, but yesterday afternoon takes the cake. My set up gives the chickens both an outside run and an inside horse stall to hang out in during the day. I got home from TKD class to my frantic sister hollering that there were chickens all over the patio! Seems like Shale had OPENED THE STALL DOOR and let everyone out! I still don't know how she did it. The horse that eats in that stall has never been able to open the door! Crazy!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think that 'super chicken' had human help.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Maybe the horse finally figured out how to open the stall. [​IMG]

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I bet Shale instructed the horse to open it for her.... or maybe someone did not shut it all the way???

5. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Well, I don't believe she did get help. There wasn't anyone in the barn - my sister was on the patio and my nephew and I were at TKD class. No one else home. The horse is only in the stall at meal times and the chickens are not in the stall at that time. So, nobody there but the chickens. I put a lock on the door and let them out in it yesterday, then sat in the barn to watch. That door MOVED! Only an inch, thanks to the lock, but, it was all Shale and Sandstone. Wow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by