Super Chocolate Egg Layer question

Blue layer roo

This is my favorite and I don't know if she's a chocolate layer or blue layer. Her name is dove.

Hi, have anyone cross SCEL roo to OE (BCM x CCL)?

If so, have you got chicks looks like BCM chicks?

Thank You!

Any updates on eggs from the SCEL? color, size, frequency, etc?

Super chocolate egg layers? Last year I made some SBEL's. Next year I'm hoping for the chocolates, but looking what I have found out and transferring it. Both the SBEL's and SCEL's are made with a formula, breeding a colored egg layer to a production white. The chocolates I have while laying nice large eggs have been my poorest layers. Welsummers not too bad. The lowest number are the black copper marans but they also have the darkest chocolaty colored eggs. The blue splash lay slightly better but their eggs are not as dark so different people may be using different breeds to achieve the same egg colors but their numbers may be different because of the different breeds. The production layer will enable the pullets to lay more eggs than the colored egg parent but will not match the production bird and since all parents have laid extra large eggs, so should the SCEL.
For my super blues I used an Ameraucana rooster over California grey hens. Offspring are mid size larger than the super greys but not what I would call dual purpose. Other than the fact they started laying a little later than the California grey mothers, they are laying nonstop and at nine months their eggs are approaching large size. Many already are. This was a very late spring hatch so haven't been laying that long. Mothers lay large to extra large eggs even though they are small and have an excellent feed to egg ratio.
I might try this again using my EE rooster and see if there is a difference but don't really expect so.
For the Super chocolates I plan on using a California Grey rooster (Leghorns could be substituted for the CG's) and I would expect similar results, maybe a few less eggs where the marans is a parent.
I think when you hybridize the resulting offspring lay between the two parents. My OE's lay much better than their marans and welsummer mothers but not as much as my EE's.So I think this observation could probably be carried over. I have an accidental OE whose mother was a mix and she lays better than the OE's I planned although her eggs aren't as large.
So little time.... so many projects to do.......
A friend did do this and is happy with the number of eggs (She got two pullets from 5 eggs) they are starting to lay but the mother is a cuckoo marans so the eggs the progeny are laying are a paler shade than she hoped, but not tan in color.

Last edited:
I was mostly wondering about folks who had bought birds from MPC, how they were egg/production wise.

I've got an extra blue copper Marans cockerel I was thinking to put in a pen with my Leghorn ladies (2 each white and brown). I'm just not sure how the Leghorn will effect the egg color, as I've read they carry genes to actually suppress the brown shell pigment. Seems that would be counter productive, right? I don't know if a different white egger would be better, but Leghorns are all I've got at the moment.

Hi all,
I'm back to report on my one female "Super Chocolate egg layer" (saying that just makes me laugh, sadly). She's black and white mottled (not white feathered as described), lays light tan eggs (nowhere near brown colored), and has the strangest personality of hens in my flock. To say I'm disappointed is a huge understatement. I echo the comments of 'Jewellian' on their experience of Super Blue Egg layer on the breeds thread. The 'fun' of hatching, raising, and waiting to see how this 'super chocolate egg layer' was not worth the outrageous price I paid in those fees to MPC for a bird that doesn't fit either the bird description or egg description. I'm sorry for this bad news for others who bought this breed but I hope it will be a buyer beware for others who are contemplating a purchase from MPC. It's not going to be a good experience!!

I'm sorry to hear that.

It needs to be White leghorn to get 'Super(egg production)' in their name.

I only have rooster and from MPC and crossed him with F1 OE, ofspring lays same color as her mother. Wonder how chocolate my roo is...

Back
Top Bottom