Super cold predicted Thanksgiving evening- too late to buy supplies

LisaMarie81

Songster
May 8, 2018
"The Jog", Massachusetts
Just saw predicting to be below zero Thursday and into Friday, but we live in a small town and all our stores closed early to tonight (what few we have). I have a tarp over the run, for moisture, but I've seen folks say to wrap the run. I don't have anything on hand. At all, Should I keep them locked in their coop for safety against the cold until we can get plastic wrap? Anything I can use that may already be in our home to help with the cold? Trying to think creatively. Worried about them.

Just saw predicting to be below zero Thursday and into Friday, but we live in a small town and all our stores closed early to tonight (what few we have). I have a tarp over the run, for moisture, but I've seen folks say to wrap the run. I don't have anything on hand. At all, Should I keep them locked in their coop for safety against the cold until we can get plastic wrap? Anything I can use that may already be in our home to help with the cold? Trying to think creatively. Worried about them.
Tonight it’s importand how warm your coop is. I’m scared too. My run is wrapped in plastic to block the wind, but I’m nervous about the drastic temperature drop overnight. The wind tonight is wicked.

I see why you are worried, but you don’t have to. We are getting zero and below windchills beginning tonight. My birds are fine, and I don’t have any concern for them in the coming winter.
Some people will keep birds inside on bitter days, but I leave it up to the flock. The pop door is open, but the people door stays closed to offer areas where the wind can’t find them. If they are huddled together and/or lazy, shut the door. Otherwise, they are happy.

Hi neighbors! I had to get heated buckets and tank heaters for my chickens,, ducks, and goats because they froze last Wed night. So far they've worked :fl That is my biggest concern during the cold weather. They tolerate the cold well, so as long as they can get out of the wind they should be fine. If they have free access to their coop then I wouldn't worry. My cops are in the barn (unheated) but my chickens still go outside during the day. We'll see what they choose to do tomorrow...
:pop

Tonight it’s importand how warm your coop is. I’m scared too. My run is wrapped in plastic to block the wind, but I’m nervous about the drastic temperature drop overnight. The wind tonight is wicked.

Yup, we will have a chilly Thanksgiving this year! I suppose how well they will tolerate the temperature also depends on the breed of chicken. My chickens are complete pansies! The majority of them are old, frail silkies along with two Mille fleur d'Uccle's, one old and one young. Neither breeds fair well in the cold. They are in our barn, with small heaters over their roosts that don't do any good because I am pretty sure both are broken. Do you think they will be alright?

For the OP, I would recommend that keeping them dry and blocked from the wind is most important. Put a tarp over the base of the run so snow can't get in. Of course, I would keep them locked inside the coop for warmth. I have also heard that if you put straw down in the hen house it will keep it warmer. I think it provides some insulation for them.
I am not sure about this, but maybe install a temporary heat lamp??? :confused:
Best of luck to you, neighbor! Hope your chickens will stay toasty tonight!
:frow

So we got lucky! Our only Tractor Supply around was still open. Bought more hay, wood chips, a tarp, and plastic. We dumped a whole bunch of wood chips in the coop for tonight and wrapped the coop in a tarp (leaving ventilation) for just tonight. Tomorrow plan is to staple the plastic wrap around the run to help with the wind. I'm breathing a sigh of relieve knowing they'll hopefully be a bit warmer tonight. They have water, no food inside thought. we will move that first thing in the morning. They don't eat anything at night anyways so tomorrow to move will be ok

Back
Top Bottom