Super docile Tom

mattjanky

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2016
Hi I'm pretty new to raising poultry and recently I got 2 male turkeys off Craigslist as well as some more chickens for my flock. The deal was too good to pass up. They are both about 5 months old. Both free range. I named them Adama and Apollo. Adama is a little bit bigger and a little skittish around people. He walks away slowly anyway when people come up to him. But Appollo follows me around and lays at my feet like a dog. Has anyone experienced this behavior before? They fight sometimes but usually they both get tired and just lay down in exaustion. He's so nice I joke with my wife that I'd make him a house pet if he didn't have a cloaca and could learn to poop outside. I think I'm going to try to breed his docile traits in to some poults in the spring after I buy some female turkeys. And I think Adama is going to be thanksgiving dinner. Can Apollos docile traits be passed on or is it just something specific to him. I know he's just a bird but I've become attached. He even let's me rub his head and seems too like it bu maybe that's just wishful thinking. At least it's easy to apply neosporin after they fight. Has anyone else experienced this kind of behavior in their turkeys?

They are still young. I personally would prefer the one who keeps his distance. Sometimes the friendly boys become aggressive as they get older, especially since you have no hens to divert their attention.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind. If Apollo gets aggressive he'll be dinner. I'm keeping my eyes open on Craigslist for some females. I want some turkey eggs

Whenever I raise poults they end up being way too friendly which is nice but they end up as food. If I am looking to replace an older tom I will replace him with a friendly one, they have never turned nasty later on they just act more like a turkey when put in with hens. The first ever two toms I brought were not handraised and were so agressive I couldnt go into their yards and had to let them out to freerange just so I could get in the yard. Well after being sick if doing that I replaced them with their two sons who are completely fine. As long as you keep your relationship going now I dont see a reason why he would change especially if he has some hens later on. Good luck

Depends on the breed, but in my experience most turkeys are fairly friendly. Last year we had one in particular that thought it was my 18 month old sons best friend and would follow him around like a lost puppy. I have a friend who grew up in a neighborhood with a "neighborhood wild turkey" that self domesticated and liked to eat out of kitty bowls and would wait with the kids who rode the bus every morning. Turkeys are smart, and interested in what we do, and they definitely know where their meals come from!!

Back
Top Bottom