Super Hormonal Rooster

Sadness Child

Crowing
Jun 16, 2019
ABQ, New Mexico
So I have a 24 week old Blue Jersey Giant Cockerel, Freddy. Lately he has been trying to mate with all of our pullets that are the same age, They are all scared of him right now. I also have a Buckeye cockerel, who is so far very nice, but it might be because of Freddy, This morning when I let them out Freddy started chasing Tony everywhere. This has never happened, They grew up together also. Freddy has also occasionally attacked me when I let him out and check for eggs. all of my pullets are 24 weeks old and only one has started laying, I think it might be because of stress caused by Freddy chasing them around to mate. I am just wondering what I should do to prevent this behavior or if I should just wait.

5 Pullets, I currently do not have the space to move both of them, on of the pullets is a Japanese bantam., I have 3 more pullets the are 9 weeks old, and 2 Cockerels that I had hoped were pullets that are 9 weeks old

Yes I am aware of that, I previously had 9 Pullets, but my dog killed 4 of the pullets and 2 of those were bantam cochins which accompanied the Japanese Bantam

An today was the first day I have seen any conflict in between the two cockerels, Tony is very aggressive, His flock is him and the bantam and Freddy has the rest, but they don't like Freddy. Tony is even below 2 of the Pullets in the pecking order AND he just started crowing about a week ago, AND he was a runt as a chick, he was the same size as the bantams, and seemed to be friends with the cochins.

Just because they were raised with each other has no effect on a chicken. Rooster 1 wants all the hens period. Rooster 2 wants the same hens period. Fighting is the result. 9 girls is nowhere near enough for 2 breeding roosters. That number would be more like 20+

Only fixes is to get so many hens the roosters wear them self out before they can fight or remove extra rooster.

I got tired of my super hormonal cockerel real fast. In this group of youngsters, 7 pullets, 2 boys, it was suddenly a very easy decision. I grabbed him and, using the broomstick method, dislocated his neck, and that was that. Peace. The remaining cockerel seems to be okay but he's being watched.

I got tired of my super hormonal cockerel real fast. In this group of youngsters, 7 pullets, 2 boys, it was suddenly a very easy decision. I grabbed him and, using the broomstick method, dislocated his neck, and that was that. Peace. The remaining cockerel seems to be okay but he's being watched.
I am getting to this point especially since he is a Jersey Giant.

Back
Top Bottom