Super loud hen!

Thank you for the suggestions, I think I'll try some of that tomorrow.

I really wish her noises were just the loud bocking, but she makes this RRRAAAAAAA RRRRAAAAAAA RRRRAAAAAA RAA RAA RAA. You'd think something was killing her every half hour.
barnie.gif
Oh, I know that noise all too well (if it's the one I'm thinking of). For mine, it was their THE-SUN-WAS-UP-TWO-SECONDS-AGO-WHY-ARE-WE-STILL-TRAPPED-IN-HERE?!" call. Please keep us posted!

Thank you...:bow

I finally placed some wire protector around my roses to keep them from digging into their roots. I've got to start hanging treats, just out of reach to keep them busy.

So nice to find all you other chicken owners with the same problem.
Love this place:love

just occurred to me, do you have a rooster, maybe she's calling for some rooster time.

I don't have a rooster. I live in a neighborhood, so I can't have a rooster.

Oh, I know that noise all too well (if it's the one I'm thinking of). For mine, it was their THE-SUN-WAS-UP-TWO-SECONDS-AGO-WHY-ARE-WE-STILL-TRAPPED-IN-HERE?!" call. Please keep us posted!

Lol. I'm glad you know what noise I'm talking about. That noise drives me up the wall, because I don't want to irritate my neighbors and I really dislike being woken up in the morning. I'm not a morning person at all. lol.
gig.gif

Update:
I was locking them in the hen house at night and not letting them out until after the time she generally stops her nonsense and that actually worked. But then we had to go out of town for a week and a half. I'm pretty sure she was doing this obnoxiousness the whole time (because I couldn't expect our house sitter to do the same routine). I really hope my neighbors don't hate us now. I'll probably be paying them a visit with eggs later today.
hmm.png

I was thinking that since locking them up worked before we left, it told me that it may be her singing while her sister is laying on eggs in the hen house, rather than boredom. Except that sometimes her sister is out with her and she's still doing it. Since I don't have a rooster; could she be singing in her own way like a rooster would? Taking on the role?

I'm glad some other folks are just as annoyed as I am at the occasional obnoxious noise levels coming from these hens. If any of my hens were to be noisy all day long she would soon find herself no longer a part of my flock.
Funny that roosters aren't allowed in places where riotously noisy hens are. I"m thinking most folks just don't realize how noisy they can be.

I have 5 hens and one of them does this almost every day. I get up and let them into the run at 6 am. About 15 minutes later, she starts hollering her head off. I know it's because she wants to free range in the yard, but they never get to until at least 7 am. She sounds like a wild monkey. It is SO loud. I live in a neighborhood and my neighbors must eat to kill us.

I play mine music and they seem to quiet down!
Seriously, I play them music you would hear in a massage, like gentle flutes and stuff. I think they would like classical too.

No joke!

Haha, music sounds like a good idea. :)

Update: during the "winter" (as winter as it can be in southern california), the non-laying/molting season, it was so nice to have 0 noise. But now they are all starting to lay again, and they are louder than before!

I have one that just stands on cinder blocks to sing her hymn of the egg on and off all day long. I'm thinking about putting some PVC roof paneling around the bottom of the run to help the noise coming from her not echo through the neighborhood.

...I'm getting quails after these chickens retire.
caf.gif

Gonna read the whole thread but wanted to say that I too was gonna post on this very subject! For me it's the opposite though, quiet all day (at least I think) but I go outside, or anyone, and the yelling at me starts! I used to think it was the whole flock yelling at me but then I figured it out it was only my 2 Black Australorps and they are so LOUD. Sometimes the other hens do pipe in but it's just saying hi I think and barely audible over the other girls. They just yell. Or fly on the roof and comment. And often even if I let them out to free range they all run up to me when I go outside and comment. I think they are bored though. I put dirt or something in and they quiet down. The coop is a kit and only maybe 3x3 and the run is a 6x12 dog kennel but the coop is right in the middle of it. There's 8 and also outgrew the brooder by 2 weeks old and were in it till 3 weeks then in the garage till 7 weeks then outside and.now 21 weeks so i feel that and the pecking habit is boredom but i am hoping to build a bigger coop and run. I have been meaning to add boredom relievers but havent yet. They also very rarely free range but love it so much so I think they are mad about that. But they are just so LOUD. Not even just that they have a comment on everything, that could be cute, but just volume wise too. They YELL. One of my Easter Eggers is adorable and always follows me and watches/checks out what I'm doing but at least she does it silently haha

I just some chickens and I"m worried about how loud they will be. i got the code enforcer to make an exception and allow us to have hans. I"m worried because we have close neighbors and I was told if I get any complaints aganist me for noise or smells I have to get rid of them. i know I can keep down tne smell. i bought six pullets and got them a coop with a run. I"m just looking for advise wen its time to bring them outside once its warm and they are old enough.

Back
Top Bottom