Super Low Egg Production - What’s Wrong??

BecKub

Songster
May 11, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
So we’ve increased our flock a few times over the last 3 months. Our original numbers from the spring were 9, but one has since died and there’s another that’s not laying so we’ll say 6 that should be laying. We now have 36 which we got in smaller chunks over the course of several weeks. A large number of those are very young (picked up at less than 20 weeks old). We’ve gotten a lot of smaller eggs lately so I’m fairly certain the younger ones, or most of them, have started laying. So overall, we should have at LEAST 25 birds that are laying.

However... we’re only getting at MOST 10 eggs a day. It’s usually around 8 or 9. We had a flock of 20 a few years ago and we were getting 14 eggs a day at LEAST. The weather has been hot and I know that contributes, but I don’t know what else it could be. They’re spoiled and their nutrition is excellent. Extra vitamins, protein, calcium and a very large area to free range during the day.

I’ve checked outside for clutches of eggs and haven’t found any. We did have one that was eating eggs but I put ceramic eggs in the nesting boxes and that seemed to help. I even put nesting boxes outside just in case although they haven’t used them.

Is this normal? We have great laying breeds, all of which produce over 260 eggs/year. I’m just worried I’m missing something here and I feel like we should be getting way more eggs. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

The only thing I can think of is if they are getting too many treats and table scraps. That is said to bring egg production down.
It's so easy for me to use my chickens as garbage disposals, but I am going to be more mindful of not over doing it. Feeding them treats is so fun, though!

The only thing I can think of is if they are getting too many treats and table scraps. That is said to bring egg production down.
It's so easy for me to use my chickens as garbage disposals, but I am going to be more mindful of not over doing it. Feeding them treats is so fun, though!

No kidding!?! I’ve never read that. They do get a lot of scraps... garbage disposal is a good way to put it. They literally follow me along the fence line if I’m walking down to the coop or around to the other side. It’s kind of pathetic. Maybe I should limit it to just twice a week or so...

Many things can affect production.

Adding birds.
Days getting shorter.
Molding starting.
To many treats.
Feed that is not meeting their needs.
Feed that is old.
Predators hanging around.
Illness.

So I’ve read up on all of this, and I’m meeting all the needs (except for the treats thing)
- The last time birds were added was over a month ago, so they should be well settled by now
- Production has been low for months, even when the days were at their longest
- Feed they’re getting is quality and not old
- I suppose predators could be an issue since were not home all day I wouldn’t know unless we put up a trail camera
- No one is molting and everyone is healthy. Nobody is lethargic or has mites etc.

So I’ve read up on all of this, and I’m meeting all the needs (except for the treats thing)
- The last time birds were added was over a month ago, so they should be well settled by now
- Production has been low for months, even when the days were at their longest
- Feed they’re getting is quality and not old
- I suppose predators could be an issue since were not home all day I wouldn’t know unless we put up a trail camera
- No one is molting and everyone is healthy. Nobody is lethargic or has mites etc.

Coop space?

How many birds in what square footage?

Run space?

So quite a few of them are new layers this summer? Do you have several breeds that are known to be slow to mature?
You might want cut the treats/scraps down to no more than 10% of total intake, (I think that's what I read on this site) and make sure they don't run out of water during the day.
Hopefully a more experience chicken herder than I will come along and give you some other ideas. Oh, I have heard that mentioning the stew pot to them occasionally will step up their production. :cool:

I know from personal experience when I was adding even just a few birds a month over a six-month period, It disrupted the egg-laying quite a bit.... took a few months of not adding in any chickens at all for things to get back to normal...... Also some of the younger hens may not have started laying yet and if they did maybe they're not laying daily...????... Just an idea from my experience

Last edited:
Right now I have twelve hens of various ages, one broody hen, and new pullets not yet in lay. It's been hot here too, although the folks in Arizona wouldn't think so. BUT, I've been getting five or six eggs per day from my hens, because they are also molting.
35 birds, and five or six eggs! Patience!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom