SUPER Porous shells? Anyone??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I just received some eggs on Friday that they all have super-porous-looking shells?

Why is this?

What causes this?

What prevents it, if anything?

Anyone?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2008
  2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I'll look for a picture to use as an example...

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I wasn't going to answer because I wasn't 100% but I believe it is from a calcium deficiency in the hen. I have had a couple super porous and they don't make it to day 18 I had some mildly porous ones and they did fine. I think the reason the super porous ones don't make it is they lose too much moisture, they are unable to sustain the proper internal environment.
    Krista

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm not sure of hte cause, but my hatcher friend has hatched several without issue.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
  6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    One I just hatched out was super porous. I asked about it and was told "lack of calcium".
    Whether that is true or not, I dont really know.[​IMG]

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    What kind of eggs are they ??? I had a bunch of silkie eggs that were like that.... I got 100% hatch rate !!!!

8. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    I'm not sure that picture is showing "pores" at all.

Calcium deficiency usually leads to thin shells that break easily, rather than porous shells. Thin shells are a problem because they lose moisture in the incubator much faster than thick ones .... so it can be hard to provide ideal conditions when you mix them up.

That pic. looks like a "mottled" shell, and I just had at least 2 of those hatch.

I wouldn't worry too much.

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    It seemed like my Dorking eggs always looked like that. The brahma eggs weren't the ones were they? I've been candling the ones I have in the 'bator, and they don't look porous at all... [​IMG]

The key with those is to bump up the humidity 5-10%... the egg will lose a lot of moisture through those holes otherwise. A trick that someone else told me was to dip the pointy end in parafin wax to seal some of the holes. I've tried it, and eggs have hatched.

Good nutrition will help with the eggs... it has something to do with the way the calcium is used to make the shell.

10. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

It seemed like my Dorking eggs always looked like that. The brahma eggs weren't the ones were they? I've been candling the ones I have in the 'bator, and they don't look porous at all... [​IMG]

The key with those is to bump up the humidity 5-10%... the egg will lose a lot of moisture through those holes otherwise. A trick that someone else told me was to dip the pointy end in parafin wax to seal some of the holes. I've tried it, and eggs have hatched.

Good nutrition will help with the eggs... it has something to do with the way the calcium is used to make the shell.

Good answer [​IMG]

Also, hairline cracks in valuable eggs can often be fixed with clear nail polish.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by