Super Quiet this Morning...

RunnerWhisperer

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
"The Ville" (Marysville,Wa)
I'm sure some of you wonder, when you go out in the am to see your duck babies, if you are going to see something you don't expect. Well this morning I went out to do my morning chores and as I rounded the side of the house I heard not a peep from my girls. Hmm! I wondered, then I was froze with the fear that something got to them last night.

As I approached closer and closer to the pen, still no movement or sounds. Typically they are pacing back and forth and making their little quacking noises. But not today. Then I thought, well maybe they got too cold!? As I crouched down and looked inside, I didn't see them. I opened the pen door and that's when I heard them. They were inside their dog house. I guess I had come out a bit early and bothered them while they concentrating on laying thier morning eggs. Phew!! Cocoa came out first then Jade, just as she did I saw her drop her egg right in front of her house. She turned and looked at it then ran out of the pen. I was so releived!!

Those little eggs were still toasty warm when I washed them off and stuck them in the fridge.

I get worried too sometimes when I don't hear them, I can't see the coop from the back porch. One morning I had stood around talking to hubby and usually they start their mouths up when they hear me talking. I stopped and said "Duuuuckies?" and got one loud "Quack!"

Silly birds.

I think that was the last of their egg laying for the winter!

I've had a total of 1 egg the past three days. No eggs on Wednesday, one egg yesterday, and no eggs again today. And I noticed that the girls were running around a lot more as if finally freed from the chore of laying eggs every single day!?

No diaper butt on Jade so I would guess they are done for now. They have been kept outside with no heat just shelter so I bet their clocks are telling them that it's now too cold to lay.

Back
Top Bottom