Super sad day )O:

Heathero617

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Mosheim
Went out to feed this morning, noticed feathers EVERYWHERE and no silkie hen and no chicks, walk around front and there is my silkie roo missing a ton of his feathers. I just happened to be looking real close with hopes that the chicks escaped whatever it was that got in, and there he/she was....1 teeny little black chick hiding under the edge of the box. Still couldnt find the hen, so i went in to the run side to try and reach the chick from outside and moved a panel, there she was wedged between the nesting box and the wall....a small hole in the bottom of the barn wall was covered by a panel of wood and whatever it was appeared to try and rip her thru that hole. So now I have a silkie roo whos missing most of his tail and back feathers, i'll need to try and catch him, he was skiddish before i'm sure he's going to be worse now. Gonna try and dress a wound i saw and get a better look at him. THEN i'm to work to try and seal up the security breaches so we dont have this again. AKKKKKKKKKKK I'm beginning to think that chickens arent for me, it seems i get heartbreak too often

Quote:
I'm so sorry.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Quote:
I'm so sorry.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Thanks, but on the up side...an egg i was ready to chunk into the woods cause the silkie booted it out of the nest yesterday has pipped this morning. I have NO idea what made me check it a third time before i pitched it, but i'm glad i did....now...to make it out of that egg in my faux-bator is the next test of my nerves and emotions

Is it possible to put a 3 day old chick in the bator to chirp and stimulate the pipped egg? I read where some people were recording chirps to try and move the hatching along or would it be too hot and humid for the chick?

Quote:
That would be a great idea! Won't hurt a thing.

So sorry for your loss.....Don't give up though.....

Really??? it wont hurt the 3 day chick?? ok im gonna give it a go, i'll keep a close eye and if i see any danger i'll remove it.

Have been outside all day working to fix any breeches in security, we shall see. Unfortunatly, I am putting a request in to my father to put my silkie roo out of his misery. I can't do it, but whatever it was took a huge chunk out of his back under his wing where his hip area is. He's just not going to recover. He's been skiddish, but i was at least able to feed him from my hand....now he just stands there staring into space and i get just about on him and he gets a burst of energy and runs off. Just a sad sad day )O:

Back
Top Bottom