'Super' Silky Doves

showmesilkies

Songster
12 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Central Missouri
My Coop
My Coop
I am wanting to get a few doves, maybe three pairs. I really fancy the silky type and understand only one mate per pair may be silky. I have visited a few websites and emailed a couple breeders. Either they don't have any to sell or waiting for the youngsters to mature. I am interested in the ice, pink, orange neck, violet neck, tangerine, bulleyed white, crested, tufted & 'super' silky colors/varieties. Anyone here have these?
fl.gif

Also, is there a reference site you experienced breeders would recommend for newbies?
Thanks in advance!

Awesome! Thank you, I will check it out.
I see you are in Mass and your profile pic is a dove outdoors. Do you keep yours outside? I have not researched to know if doves are hardy enough to be outdoors during the Winter.

Join the American Dove Association. They can direct you to breeders in your area. The newsletter has a good for sale section. Doves are easily shipped too.
Nprmal ringneck doves can be kept outdoors in your area in winter, provided that they have excellent shelter, and ice free water at least twice a day. Silkies are slightly less hardy in the cold, but may get by with good management. The improperly named so-called super silkies probably require temperatures at least above freezing to thrive long term.

hey everyone!! I was just given my forst silky dove!.. my first dove ever! I was curious if any of you know how they become "silky" is it a mutation? a breed? is it something you can keep breeding or when you breed 2 you only have a certain % of a chance to get one as a baby?
also what color is mine haha.. I have a few pigeons.. but not sure on this guys color..

Back
Top Bottom