Super soft eggs PLEASE HELP!

May be due to some inflamation in the egg canal or deficiency of calcium and vit d so try to give here florfenicol in drinking water 12 houres 5 days and vitamin d with calcium in drinking water 7 to 10 days

Mine would not eat the oyster shell I was putting out, so we started giving them feed that had extra calcium in it. So far, we haven't had a problem, that I know of. Even got a big one yesterday that will most likely have double yolks.

I have three chickens one which has been laying fantastically, and another that just began to lay. Her first egg was perfect, now her second egg has a super soft shell and some blood on the outside of it. It feels like a ballon filled with goo. You can see by the photo its the one on the right. I feed them layer feed, give them back their egg shells and I supplement with greens from the garden. I also add oyster shell to their feed, but maybe I need to be adding more. I find it tremendously odd that her first egg would be perfect and so suddenly the second would be misformed. Please help!
Feed ur chickens oyster shells it will harden ur eggs

Last edited:
Even some of my older birds do this from time to time. I provide pretty much anything and everything they may require as well as they are practically feral.
I have more important things to deal with rather than cater ( emotionally, physically, mentally and financially) to a chicken that may lay a deformed or soft shelled, or double yolked, or too big or too small an egg.
It's an egg. I know it came from one of my chickens and I know what they eat, or more rather what I feed them and most of what they eat when are foraging. I eat the egg.
To add, my flock members have an expected life span of 1 yr when you take into consideration hatch rate, survival to adult hood rate(mostly due to predation but some sickness, interspecies "murder" and/or freezing to death), and processing as food.
My flock dynamics are pretty much "au natural".... ....other than me feeding and processing as food.... ....and cleaning the coop..... ...and collecting eggs..... ...except when I want a hen to hatch some more babies.

Thank you so much. Look at how big my eggs are getting! I think I have worked out the kinks.

We got this yucky egg yesterday, most likely from one our newest layers. Not only was it soft and translucent, it had some gnarly goo on it. I cut it open and it all looked normal on the inside, so I gave it to our dog. He's alive and well, in case anyone was planning to do the same! :p

A soft shell indicates that the chicken does not have enough minerals in her system to produce a hard shell. Some chicken pellets state you do not have to feed oyster shells because the pellets contain the minerals that are in the oyster shells. You might feed oyster shells to provide the necessary minerals needed form a hard shell.

Back
Top Bottom