SUPER speckled egg, whats up?

Crookadoodle

Chirping
Oct 18, 2021
Manitoba, Canada
Hey!

So some of my spring chicks finally started laying, two days in a row I have gotten a brown egg that is so speckled it is almost white! The speckles fade when I hold the egg and come back once it is left alone. The brown is quite dark under the speckles but its hard to tell. What is going on (photos below)

Feed: I feed a mixed flock feed, just started fermenting feed, minimal treats, i havent put out oyster shells in a while as they werent laying for over 2 months, so I would be skeptical about calcium build up?
Back ground: I have a flock of 25 and prior to winter only 15 were laying (marans, brown hens, ameraucanas) Since then I have had 3 different colours of eggs show up in the nesting box that dont belong to any of those who were previously laying. One I know for sure is from my barred rock, the rest of my girls are likely mixes.

Any thing to be concerned about, or can I just enjoy these beauties worry free?

Attachments

• 20220123_150521.jpg
    20220123_150521.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220123_133359.jpg
    20220123_133359.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 16
That actually looks like excessive calcium.
It should smooth out in time, or not, nothing to worry about.

'Speckled' eggs can happen for several different reasons...very few, if any, of which are a 'problem'.
Can be caused by:
Excess or uneven pigment coating.
Excess or uneven cuticle(bloom).
Excess calcium deposits.
Porous eggs can appear speckled.
Some birds lay them consistently, some only once in awhile.
The pigment or bloom can change appearance when wet, then change back when dry again.

As long as bird is getting a good diet and is healthy in every other way, it is no cause for concern.

'Speckled' eggs can happen for several different reasons...very few, if any, of which are a 'problem'.
Can be caused by:
Excess calcium deposits.
The pigment or bloom can change appearance when wet, then change back when dry again.

As long as bird is getting a good diet and is healthy in every other way, it is no cause for concer

Can be caused by:
Excess calcium deposits.

As long as bird is getting a good diet and is healthy in every other way, it is no cause for concern.
Good to know! Thanks for the feedback, I had no idea the bloom layer could be applied unevenly resulting in something like this. They sure are interesting. I had figured it could have been something diet related or just because she is a new layer, I hadn't seen one with so many white speckles so I figured it was worth checking 🙂

Hey!

So some of my spring chicks finally started laying, two days in a row I have gotten a brown egg that is so speckled it is almost white! The speckles fade when I hold the egg and come back once it is left alone. The brown is quite dark under the speckles but its hard to tell. What is going on (photos below)

Feed: I feed a mixed flock feed, just started fermenting feed, minimal treats, i havent put out oyster shells in a while as they werent laying for over 2 months, so I would be skeptical about calcium build up?
Back ground: I have a flock of 25 and prior to winter only 15 were laying (marans, brown hens, ameraucanas) Since then I have had 3 different colours of eggs show up in the nesting box that dont belong to any of those who were previously laying. One I know for sure is from my barred rock, the rest of my girls are likely mixes.

Any thing to be concerned about, or can I just enjoy these beauties worry free?
Overage of bloom. Mine started that way and eventually it thinned out.

Back
Top Bottom