Supermarket Rotisserie Chickens

droolin.gif

Gotta say that the grocery store pre-cooked chickens (the ones in the hot case at Kroger-owned, Costco or Safeway stores) that I've ever had are just nasty. Waaaaay overcooked, too much salt and brine and every bite has an artificial aftertaste.

My favorite recipe is a modified version of the Zuni Cafe Roast Chicken and Bread Salad ( http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/12/zuni-cafe-roast-chicken-bread-salad/ ), but beyond that I usually just lightly brine the chicken overnight, brown it on the stove and then roast it in a dutch oven on relatively high heat.

Some people bake these chickens on very low heat and some bake them on very high heat; both have good results. Whats the reasoning behind this?

I fix a rotisserie about ever 2 weeks (if its not 95+ outside!!!!) I have one of those showcase rotisserie ovens - take a cornish hen - wash it off really well rub it down with olive oil - salt, paper, garlic (whatever herb you want - or the pre-prepared rotisserie seasoning is good too) and stick it on the tins (sometimes I have to truss up the chicken cause it doesnt want to behave on the forks) and let it cook in there rotating for 1 15 - 1 45 minutes depending on how big the hen is.
smile.png
I LOVE them - very good - boil some potatoes and corn on the cob or some other veggie - and yum.

Back
Top Bottom