Supermarket Rotisserie Chickens

halo

Got The Blues
14 Years
Nov 22, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I just picked one up to munch on this weekend and good golly are they good. Does anyone have any luck making these things at home?

Ive seen that recipe and everyone raves about it. Do you still get that great flavor all the way thru? How does it cook for that long in an oven without drying out?

Yes, I think it's even better than the grocery store rotisserie chickens. It doesn't dry out because the temp on the oven is set so low. The meat is really tender and juicy.

It has 1,689 reviews with 4.7 out of 5 stars. You should read some of the reviews...

Last edited:
I have a rotissery. I just get a 5lb. chicken and wash it up real good. Then I put lawry's garlic salt on it and put it in my rotissere. It comes out so good it makes your mouth water:drool when it's coking. It's the best I have ever had. And the good news is. The rotissere drains most of the grease out of the chicken so it makes it healthier for you.

I don't cook my whole chickens any other way and it tastes even better than the stores. Mine is a george foreman rotissere.

Bettyr, I did read lots of the reviews, thats why I was so interested in that particular recipe. Guess Ill just have to try it.

I second that vote for that recipe, I almost exclusively make my whole roasters this way and the leftovers are boiled off for soups or picked for chicken nachos!

Some points about the Roast Sticky Chicken recipe:

1. you can use chicken quarters to make this recipe, does not need to be a whole bird, so you could make this recipe in a toaster oven:

Sticky Chicken Legs and Thighs

Seasoning Mix
4 t salt
2 t paprika
1 t cayenne pepper
1 t onion powder
1 t thyme
1 t white pepper
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t black pepper

chicken leg quarters - one batch of seasoning mix is enough for 5 lbs of leg quarters
1-2 cups chopped onion

In a small bowl, combine all the spices. Defrost leg quarters if frozen and cut between leg and thigh, removing extra skin if desired. Sprinkle seasoning on each piece, front and back. Place in a baking pan and top with the chopped onion.

Bake uncovered at 350 for at least one hour. The onions will caramelize and turn dark.

Bake some potatoes tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper in a separate dish while the chicken bakes.

I think I would probably put the onions underneath the chicken pieces as in the original recipe, so the skin on the chicken could get crispy. I also think I would bake at a lower temp - maybe 300F? - and for a longer period of time, checking a thick thigh after 2 hours. You need the temp to get up to 175-180 to be sure the chicken is completely cooked through.

2. many recommend that you roast more than one chicken at a time since the oven will be on so long anyway; pull the meat off the bones of the other chicken(s) to freeze for future meals.

3. The carcasses of Roast Sticky Chicken made a delicious chicken broth for soup or cooking: simmer the carcass of one or more roasted chickens in 4-6 qts. of water or water plus a couple of tablespoons of Better Than Bouillon for Chicken at least two hours. You can add a quartered onion, a cut up rib of celery, and a chunked carrot to the simmering stock. Cool chicken and pick out all remaining bits of meat to add to add to soups, etc. Strain stock into freezer containers and freeze or use right away to make a big pot of soup.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom