supervised free-ranging - can you truly protect from hawks?

Where I am nothing deters them they'll attack in front of me. They'll attack with roosters present. They'll attack with my guard donkey present. They will figure out they can fly in a tiny triangle of unprotected area on an otherwise covered run and then get stuck and act like you're murdering them when you are just trying to free them even though they are a pain in the tush... But anyway. We can't free range. They get picked off quick. Mine go in a tractor or a securely covered run. I like watching chickens free range but it's just not safe here. Even with cover and places to hide.

Here in NW Ohio we have Red Tailed hawks too but they aren't interested in chicken. They prefer rabbit and squirrel here. The hawks I really had problems with were Cooper's and Sharp-Shinned. Also Great Horned owls will tear up your flock while you sleep. Yes, they will even go into the coop. I have proof on game cam. The only solution for me was to cover my entire run with bird netting. Only supervised yard time if I can be physically present. Hawks will strike if you go in for a few minutes. Been there, done that, lost the birds and had to replace them. I highly advise making your presence known. Clap your hands at hawks and walk right up to the tree they are sitting in. Yelling doesn't work, they don't care how much you yell. Clap your hands and they'll fly off.

And I also recommend getting a rooster to guard. They will alert to danger, even if you aren't paying attention.
Good to know clapping is better, thanks!

Where I am nothing deters them they'll attack in front of me. They'll attack with roosters present. They'll attack with my guard donkey present. They will figure out they can fly in a tiny triangle of unprotected area on an otherwise covered run and then get stuck and act like you're murdering them when you are just trying to free them even though they are a pain in the tush... But anyway. We can't free range. They get picked off quick. Mine go in a tractor or a securely covered run. I like watching chickens free range but it's just not safe here. Even with cover and places to hide.
That’s been our experience with hawks and any other predator as well. Had the same thing happen a red tailed hawk came through a hole in top of our chicken pen and killed my pet buff Orpington hen. Hawks are very prevalent here as well as owls.
When our Blue Heeler had pups about two years ago I noticed a lot of hawk and owl activity. We were afraid to leave the pups outside very long even with us and the mother watching. She would watch them flying over and chase them from below. Black vultures would sometimes swoop down low as well. Early one morning a great horned owl was perched on a fence in a stare down with the mother dog. When I realized what was going on and walked toward it it flew. She hates all of those birds of prey but she would not be any guard for chickens as she would be as much of a threat as the wild animals. To me the free range chicken concept is nice but just a legend unless there is a tolerance for high bird loss.

I have as many hawks as anyone. Very few of my chickens are taken by hawks, and there is a pattern that is relatively easy to manage against. Red-tailed Hawks like to hunt more in the open. Coopers Hawks are very selective for smaller chickens but are easily repelled by broody hens or fully adult rooster trying to protect offspring. You have enough information above to start managing flock and landscape to minimize losses to hawks.

When practical no immature or hen only flocks is something I do when practical. When rearing groups of juveniles, I have dogs that enjoy chasing hawks and running over every time chickens give alarm calls.

I AM LEGEND

I have as many hawks as anyone. Very few of my chickens are taken by hawks, and there is a pattern that is relatively easy to manage against. Red-tailed Hawks like to hunt more in the open. Coopers Hawks are very selective for smaller chickens but are easily repelled by broody hens or fully adult rooster trying to protect offspring. You have enough information above to start managing flock and landscape to minimize losses to hawks.

When practical no immature or hen only flocks is something I do when practical. When rearing groups of juveniles, I have dogs that enjoy chasing hawks and running over every time chickens give alarm calls.

I AM LEGEND
I’m glad you have it figured out, and agree that you and others have some very good advice on the subject. The guard dogs I’m sure are a big help. We had them with sheep and I witnessed what you are describing some would not even let a blackbird or starling land in the pasture. Ours worked good as long as they were contained but if they found a way out of the pasture they would go roaming

Ok thanks everyone. Warming up to the idea of a rooster. Any recommendations on breed for a good mix of protective and friendly? Or is it more about how you raise them? Or is it all luck?

did a short bit of supervised free-ranging today. stayed close to them and watched the skyline. I think I’ll keep testing the waters to get a better idea of how prevalent the hawks are and what time of day they’re most likely around

Back
Top Bottom